Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-01-22 19:28:42 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think I've proposed this before, but I still think that as long as we rely
> > on pg_bsd_indent, we should have it be part of our source tree and
> > automatically built.  It's no wonder that barely anybody indents their
> > patches, given that it requires building pg_bsd_ident in a separate repo (but
> > referencing our sourc etree), putting the binary in path, etc.
>
> Hmm ... right offhand, the only objection I can see is that the
> pg_bsd_indent files use the BSD 4-clause license, which is not ours.
> However, didn't UCB grant a blanket exception years ago that said
> that people could treat that as the 3-clause license?

Yep:
https://www.freebsd.org/copyright/license/

NOTE: The copyright of UC Berkeley’s Berkeley Software Distribution ("BSD") source has been updated. The copyright
addendummay be found at ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change and is included below.

    July 22, 1999

    To All Licensees, Distributors of Any Version of BSD:

    As you know, certain of the Berkeley Software Distribution ("BSD") source code files require that further
distributionsof products containing all or portions of the software, acknowledge within their advertising materials
thatsuch products contain software developed by UC Berkeley and its contributors.

    Specifically, the provision reads:

          * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
          *    must display the following acknowledgement:
          *    This product includes software developed by the University of
          *    California, Berkeley and its contributors."

    Effective immediately, licensees and distributors are no longer required to include the acknowledgement within
advertisingmaterials. Accordingly, the foregoing paragraph of those BSD Unix files containing it is hereby deleted in
itsentirety.

    William Hoskins
    Director, Office of Technology Licensing
    University of California, Berkeley

I did check, and the FTP bit is still downloadable. A bit awkward though, now
that browsers have/are removing ftp support.

Greetings,

Andres Freund