Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-01-22 18:20:49 +0100, Jelte Fennema wrote:
> > But switching away from that intermixed with a lot of other changes isn't going to be fun.
>
> I don't think the amount of pain is really much lower if we reformat
> 10,000 or 300,000 lines of code, without automation both would be
> quite painful. But the git commands I shared in my previous email
> should alleviate most of that pain.

It's practically not possible to review a 300k line change. And perhaps I'm
paranoid, but I would have a problem with a commit in the history that's
practically not reviewable.

> > I don't have a problem with the current pgindent alignment of function
> > parameters, so not sure what you mean about that.
>
> Function parameter alignment is fine with pgindent imho, but this +12
> column variable declaration thing I personally think is quite weird.

I strongly dislike it, I rarely get it right by hand - but it does have some
benefit over aligning variable names based on the length of the type names as
uncrustify/clang-format: In their approach an added local variable can cause
all the other variables to be re-indented (and their initial value possibly
wrapped). The fixed alignment doesn't have that issue.

Personally I think the cost of trying to align local variable names is way way
higher than the benefit.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: pgindent vs variable declaration across multiple lines
Сообщение: Re: pgindent vs variable declaration across multiple lines