Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 8:01 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact, that particular experience is one of the worst things about
> being a committer. It actively discourages me, at least, from trying
> to get other people's patches committed. This particular problem is
> minor, but the overall experience of trying to get things committed is
> that you have to check 300 things for every patch and if you get every
> one of them right then nothing happens and if you get one of them
> wrong then you get a bunch of irritated emails criticizing your
> laziness, sloppiness, or whatever, and you have to drop everything to
> go fix it immediately. What a deal!

Yep. Enforcing perfect indentation on koel necessitates rechecking
indentation after each and every last-minute fixup affecting C code --
the interactions makes it quite a bit harder to get everything right
on the first push. For example, if I spot an issue with a comment
during final pre-commit review, and fixup that commit, I have to run
pgindent again. On a long enough timeline, I'm going to forget to do
that.

--
Peter Geoghegan