Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2023-08-11 Fr 19:02, Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
My workflow up until now has avoiding making updates to typedefs.list
in patches. I only update typedefs locally, for long enough to indent
my code. The final patch doesn't retain any typedefs.list changes.
Yeah, I've done the same and will have to stop.

I guess that I can't do that anymore. Hopefully maintaining the
typedefs.list file isn't as inconvenient as it once seemed to me to
be.
I don't think it'll be a problem.  If your rule is "add new typedef
names added by your patch to typedefs.list, keeping them in
alphabetical order" then it doesn't seem very complicated, and
hopefully conflicts between concurrently-developed patches won't
be common.

My recollection is that missing typedefs cause indentation that kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

The reason we moved to a buildfarm based typedefs list was that some typedefs are platform dependent, so any list really needs to be the union of the found typedefs on various platforms, and the buildfarm was a convenient vehicle for doing that. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't manually add a typedef you have added in your code.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan