Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Jelte Fennema
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 03:23, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> My main objection to the new policy is that it's not quite clear what
> process I should go through in order to be 100% confident that koel
> won't start whining (short of waiting around for koel to whine). I
> know how to run pgindent, of course, and haven't had any problems so
> far...but it still seems quite haphazard. If we're going to make this
> a hard rule, enforced on every commit, it should be dead easy to
> comply with the rule.

I think *it is* dead easy to comply. If you run the following commands
before committing/after rebasing, then koel should always be happy:

src/tools/pgindent/pgindent src # works always but a bit slow
src/tools/pgindent/pgindent $(git diff --name-only --diff-filter=ACMR)
# much faster, but only works if you DID NOT change typedefs.list

If you have specific cases where it does not work. Then I think we
should talk about those/fix them. But looking at the last few commits
in .git-blame-ignore-revs I only see examples of people simply not
running pgindent before they commit.

I guess it's easy to forget, but that's why the wiki contains a
pre-commit hook[1] that you can use to remind yourself/run pgindent
automatically. The only annoying thing is that it does not trigger
when rebasing, but you can work around that by using rebase its -x
flag[2].

[1]: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git#Using_git_hooks
[2]: https://adamj.eu/tech/2022/11/07/pre-commit-run-hooks-rebase/