Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 09:58:17AM +0200, Jelte Fennema wrote:
> For 2 the upstream thread listed two approaches:
> a. Install a pre-receive git hook on the git server that rejects
> pushes to master that are not indented
> b. Add a test suite that checks if the code is correctly indented, so
> the build farm would complain about it. (Suggested by Peter E)
>
> I think both a and b would work to achieve 2. But as Peter E said, b
> indeed sounds like less of a divergence of the status quo. So my vote
> would be for b.

FWIW, I think that there is value for both of them.  Anyway, isn't 'a'
exactly the same as 'b' in design?  Both require a build of
pg_bsd_indent, meaning that 'a' would also need to run an equivalent
of the regression test suite, but it would be actually costly
especially if pg_bsd_indent itself is patched.  I think that getting
more noisy on this matter with 'b' would be enough, but as an extra
PG_TEST_EXTRA for committers to set.

Such a test suite would need a dependency to the 'git' command itself,
which is not something that could be safely run in a release tarball,
in any case.
--
Michael

Вложения