Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 11:01:44AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> In fact, that particular experience is one of the worst things about
> being a committer. It actively discourages me, at least, from trying
> to get other people's patches committed. This particular problem is
> minor, but the overall experience of trying to get things committed is
> that you have to check 300 things for every patch and if you get every
> one of them right then nothing happens and if you get one of them
> wrong then you get a bunch of irritated emails criticizing your
> laziness, sloppiness, or whatever, and you have to drop everything to
> go fix it immediately. What a deal! I'm sure this isn't the only
> reason why we have such a huge backlog of patches needing committer
> attention, but it sure doesn't help. And there is absolutely zero need
> for this to be yet another thing that you can find out you did wrong
> in the 1-24 hour period AFTER you type 'git push'.

This comment resonated with me.  I do all my git operations with shell
scripts so I can check for all the mistakes I have made in the past and
generate errors. Even with all of that, committing is an
anxiety-producing activity because any small mistake is quickly revealed
to the world.  There aren't many things I do in a day where mistakes are
so impactful.