Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 06, 2023 at 06:17:02PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Also, pgindent takes tens of seconds to run, so hooking that into the git
> push process would slow this down quite a bit.

The pre-receive hook would do a full pgindent when you change typedefs.list.
Otherwise, it would reindent only the files being changed.  The average push
need not take tens of seconds.

> If somehow your local
> indenting doesn't give you the "correct" result for some reason, you might
> sit there for minutes and minutes trying to fix and push and fix and push.

As Andres mentioned, the hook could print the command it used.  It could even
print the diff it found, for you to apply.

On Mon, Feb 06, 2023 at 04:36:07PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2023-02-06 18:17:02 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> First, as a matter of principle, it would introduce another level of
> >> gatekeeping power.  Right now, the committers are as a group in charge of
> >> what gets into the tree.  Adding commit hooks that are installed
> >> somewhere(?) by someone(?) and can only be seen by some(?) would upset that.
> >> If we were using something like github or gitlab (not suggesting that, but
> >> for illustration), then you could put this kind of thing under .github/ or
> >> similar and then it would be under the same control as the source code
> >> itself.
>
> > Well, we did talk about adding a pre-commit hook to the repository, with
> > instructions for how to enable it. And I don't see a problem with adding the
> > pre-receive we're discussing here to src/tools/something.
>
> Yeah.  I don't think we are seriously considering putting any restrictions
> in place on gitmaster

I could have sworn that was exactly what we were discussing, a pre-receive
hook on gitmaster.