Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I am not sure whether weekly or after-every-commit pgindent runs is a
> good idea, but I think we should try to do it once a month or so. It's
> too annoying otherwise. I could go either way on the question of
> automation.

The traditional reason for not doing pgindent too often has been that
it'd cause more work for people who have to rebase their patches over
pgindent's results.  If we want to do it more often, then in order to
respond to that concern, I think we need to do it really often ---
not necessarily quite continuously, but often enough that pgindent
is only changing recently-committed code.  In this way, it'd be likely
that anyone with a patch touching that same code would only need to
rebase once not twice.  The approaches involving an automated run
give a guarantee of that, otherwise we don't have a guarantee; but
as long as it's not many days delay I think it wouldn't be bad.

Intervals on the order of a month seem likely to be the worst of
both worlds from this standpoint --- too long for people to wait
before rebasing their patch, yet short enough that they'd have
to do so repeatedly.