Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2023-01-22 Su 17:47, Tom Lane wrote:
I strongly dislike it, I rarely get it right by hand - but it does have some
benefit over aligning variable names based on the length of the type names as
uncrustify/clang-format: In their approach an added local variable can cause
all the other variables to be re-indented (and their initial value possibly
wrapped). The fixed alignment doesn't have that issue.
Yeah.  That's one of my biggest gripes about pgperltidy: if you insert
another assignment in a series of assignments, it is very likely to
reformat all the adjacent assignments because it thinks it's cool to
make all the equal signs line up.  That's just awful.  You can either
run pgperltidy on new code before committing, and accept that the feature
patch will touch a lot of lines it's not making real changes to (thereby
dirtying the "git blame" history) or not do so and thereby commit code
that's not passing tidiness checks.  Let's *not* adopt any style that
causes similar things to start happening in our C code.

Modern versions of perltidy give you much more control over this, so maybe we need to investigate the possibility of updating. See the latest docco at <https://metacpan.org/dist/Perl-Tidy/view/bin/perltidy#Completely-turning-off-vertical-alignment-with-novalign>

Probably we'd want to use something like

--valign-exclusion-list='= => ,'
cheers
andrew
--