Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 6:32 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> But it's *not* a hard rule --- we explicitly rejected mechanisms
> that would make it so (such as a precommit hook).  I view "koel
> is unhappy" as something that you ought to clean up, but if you
> don't get to it for a day or three there's not much harm done.

It's hard to square that with what you said about needing greater peer
pressure on committers.

> Right now I think we just need to raise
> committers' awareness of this enough that they routinely run
> pgindent on the files they're touching.  In the problem cases
> so far, they very clearly didn't.  I don't see much point in
> worrying about second-order problems until that first-order
> problem is tamped down.

Realistically, if you're the committer that broke koel, you are at
least the subject of mild disapproval -- you have likely
inconvenienced others. I always try to avoid that -- it pretty much
rounds up to "hard rule" in my thinking. Babysitting koel really does
seem like it could cut into my dinner plans or what have you.

--
Peter Geoghegan