Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 3:47 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > It's a somewhat annoying task though, find all the typedefs, add them to the
> > right place in the file (we have an out of order entry right now). I think a
> > script that *adds* (but doesn't remove) local typedefs would make this less
> > painful.
>
> My practice has always been "add typedefs until pgindent doesn't do
> anything I don't want".  If you have a new typedef that doesn't happen
> to be used in a way that pgindent mangles, it's not that critical
> to get it into the file right away.

We seem to be seriously contemplating making every patch author do
this every time they need to get the tests to pass (after adding or
renaming a struct). Is that really an improvement over the old status
quo?

In principle I'm in favor of strictly enforcing indentation rules like
this. But it seems likely that our current tooling just isn't up to
the task.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Сообщение: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner