Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> Of course the way that I want to do things is (almost by definition)
> the pgindent way, at least right now -- it's not necessarily about my
> fixed preferences (though it can be hard to tell!). It's really not
> surprising that clang-format cannot quite perfectly simulate pgindent.
> How flexible can we be about stuff like that? Obviously there is no
> clear answer right now.

I don't feel wedded to every last detail of what pgindent does (and
especially not the bugs).  But I think if the new tool is not a pretty
close match we'll be in for years of back-patching pain.  We have made
changes in pgindent itself in the past, and the patching consequences
weren't *too* awful, but the changes weren't very big either.

As I said upthread, this is really impossible to answer without a
concrete proposal of how to configure clang-format and a survey of
what diffs we'd wind up with.