Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Vik Fearing
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/17/23 16:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> An alternative I was thinking about after reading your earlier email was
> going back to the status quo ante, but doing the manual tree-wide
> reindents significantly more often than once a year. Adding one at the
> conclusion of each commitfest would be a natural thing to do, for
> instance. It's hard to say what frequency would lead to the least
> rebasing pain, but we know once-a-year isn't ideal.

This is basically how the SQL Committee functions.  The Change Proposals
(patches) submitted every meeting (commitfest) are always against the
documents as they exist after the application of papers (commits) from
the previous meeting.

One major difference is that Change Proposals are against the text, and
patches are against the code.  It is not dissimilar to people saying
what our documentation should say, and then someone implementing that
change.

So I am in favor of a pgindent run *at least* at the end of each
commitfest, giving a full month for patch authors to rebase before the
next fest.
--
Vik Fearing