run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Andres Freund
Тема run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner  (Jesse Zhang <sbjesse@gmail.com>)
Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

When developing patches I find it fairly painful that I cannot re-indent
patches with pgindent without also seeing a lot of indentation changes
in unmodified parts of files.  It is easy enough ([1]) to only re-indent
files that I have modified, but there's often a lot of independent
indentation changes in the files that I did modified.

I e.g. just re-indented patch 0001 of my GetSnapshotData() series and
most of the hunks were entirely unrelated. Despite the development
window for 14 having only relatively recently opened. Based on my
experience it tends to get worse over time.

Is there any reason we don't just automatically run pgindent regularly?
Like once a week? And also update typedefs.list automatically, while
we're at it?

Currently the yearly pgindent runs are somewhat painful for patches that
didn't make it into the release, but if we were to reindent on a more
regular basis, that should be much less the case.  It'd also help newer
developers who we sometimes tell to use pgindent - which doesn't really
work.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

[1] ./src/tools/pgindent/pgindent $(git diff-tree --no-commit-id --name-only -r upstream/master..HEAD|grep -v
src/test|grep-v READ ME|grep -v typedefs.list)

Сообщение: Re: Dependencies for partitioned indexes are still a mess
Сообщение: Re: Dependencies for partitioned indexes are still a mess