Re: To all who wish to unsubscribe

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: To all who wish to unsubscribe
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> So do you have any suggestions for actually fixing that? Given that we have
> more lists to migrate, if you can figure out a way to make those changes
> without peoples filters not matching, we'd be happy to hear it..

I guess it's a bit late at this point, but in theory keeping the same
List-Id headers as before may help with how many people have to
change their filters.
Using lists.postgresql.org as the new domain was explained
in the announce, but it's not clear why List-Id had to follow
the other List-* fields.
Unless it was the reason mentioned in the last sentence below.

Quoting RFC-2919:

4. Persistence of List Identifiers
  Although the list identifier MAY be changed by the mailing list  administrator this is not desirable.  (Note that
thereis no  disadvantage to changing the description portion of the List-Id  header.)  A MUA may not recognize the
changeto the list identifier  because the MUA SHOULD treat a different list identifier as a  different list.  As such
themailing list administrator SHOULD avoid  changing the list identifier even when the host serving the list  changes.
Onthe other hand, transitioning from an informal  unmanaged-list-id-namespace to a domain namespace is an  acceptable
reasonto change the list identifier.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité