Re: migrations (was Re: To all who wish to unsubscribe)

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: migrations (was Re: To all who wish to unsubscribe)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 11:46:42AM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 11/21/2017 11:42 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > I am not sure if that is sarcasm but I think the reason is pretty self
> > explanatory. -Hackers have all the people that understand how all this
> > works, -general has all the people that don't.
>
> rotfl, and ain't that the truth.

I know it's enjoyable to make fun of one's users -- those of us who
make the DNS happen have apparently made a career of it -- but I don't
think it's fair or likely to endear the database system I love to
those who might be coming from, say, the database system that employs
me.

I am pretty sure I know as much about mail processing as most of the
people who were involved in this change.  I apparently missed an
important announcement; that hardly surprises me given the volume of
mail I read, and I am pleased to have been corrected (and apologised
accordingly).

But pointing and laughing at your users and suggesting that they are
ignorant rubes is what causes people to turn their backs.  I am not
going to apologise for being offended by that.  It's a nasty thing to
do on a -general list.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca