Re: migrations (was Re: To all who wish to unsubscribe)

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: migrations (was Re: To all who wish to unsubscribe)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 01:48:50PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:

> This is really all pointless.

Gee, I love it when people dismiss observations with categorical
statements.  I'll remember to shut up in the future.  Given my
erstwhile employer, it's probably insane for me to be posting anyway.

> No, further announcements wouldn't have
> helped with all the unsubscribe complaints, which is far-and-away the
> biggest issue with these kinds of migrations.  Yes, if we'd sent out
> more emails about the migrations then maybe a few people who actually
> want to be on the lists would have had their filters in place ahead of
> time, but those aren't the people asking to be unsubscribed or (for the
> most part) are complaining about the noise from the lists (and a good
> number of them probably wouldn't have bothered to do anything until the
> migration happened anyway).

All I, at least, was trying to say was that there were some of us who
were entirely surprised, and I'm kind of amazed that a bunch of
database people didn't announce a planned migration weeks in advance.
I a prepared to bet a pretty good lunch that most of us who've spent
any time in databaseland would be pretty grouchy if such a migration
were sprung on us with a before/after message bounded even by hours,
let alone minutes.  For me, my mail handling is part of infrastructure
-- I get thousands of mails a day -- and so surprising me sucks from
my POV.

None of this is intended to denigrate the many hours of donated time
or the good intentions or even the good idea of getting away from mj2.
But I think it's hard to claim that more warning is bad, particularly
in the absence of a test universe on which to do A/B tests.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca