Обсуждение: User documentation vs Official Docs

User documentation vs Official Docs

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
-general.

Over the last year as I have visited many meetups and interacted with
people at conferences etc... There are three prevailing issues that
continue to come up in contributing to the community. This email is
about one of them. Where is the "user" documentation? The official
documentation is awesome, if you know what you are doing. It is not
particularly useful for HOWTO style docs. There is some user
documentation in the wiki but let's be honest, writing a
blog/article/howto in a wiki is a pain in the butt.

What does the community think about a community run, community
organized, sub project for USER documentation? This type of
documentation would be things like, "10 steps to configure replication",
"Dumb simple Postgres backups",  "5 things to NEVER do with Postgres". I
imagine we would sort it by version (9.6/10.0 etc...) as well as break
it down via type (Administration, Tuning, Gotchas) etc...

What do we think?

Thanks!

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 07/16/2018 01:32 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> -general.
>
> Over the last year as I have visited many meetups and interacted with
> people at conferences etc... There are three prevailing issues that
> continue to come up in contributing to the community. This email is
> about one of them. Where is the "user" documentation? The official
> documentation is awesome, if you know what you are doing. It is not
> particularly useful for HOWTO style docs. There is some user
> documentation in the wiki but let's be honest, writing a
> blog/article/howto in a wiki is a pain in the butt.
>
> What does the community think about a community run, community
> organized, sub project for USER documentation? This type of
> documentation would be things like, "10 steps to configure replication",
> "Dumb simple Postgres backups",  "5 things to NEVER do with Postgres". I
> imagine we would sort it by version (9.6/10.0 etc...) as well as break
> it down via type (Administration, Tuning, Gotchas) etc...
>
> What do we think?

Not sure this is much different from the Wiki unless:

Who is going to?:

1) Run/maintain it.

2) Get people to contribute.

3) Edit new content, clean up old content

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:

What about: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/PostgreSQL

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
Benjamin Scherrey

[...]

One thing I recall very fondly about the early days of the Lamp stack was that the official documentation of PHP and MySQL was augmented with user created practical examples. It was still reference documentation organized by command or function, but in a comment-like section underneath the formal docs were user provided short practical examples of how the command would be used in real situations. One was able to teach themselves how to build a dynamic website front ending a database just by exploring the core docs and reading the examples.

-- Ben Scherrey

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 07/16/2018 01:39 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Not sure this is much different from the Wiki unless:

The wiki is certainly "a place" that can be used for this but the wiki
takes a lot of effort to find things on it, manage it etc...

> Who is going to?:
>
> 1) Run/maintain it.

Well this is a community. The hope would be that the community would
step up. As a proposer (and writer) I am certainly willing to participate.

> 2) Get people to contribute.

I don't think this is nearly as difficult except if we create artificial
barriers to contribution (writing in the wiki is a highly subpar
experience).

> 3) Edit new content, clean up old content

So some of this could be original content, some of it could just be
links to various blogs/articles that already exist and some could be
maintenance. However, I see maintenance as a secondary issue because we
would publish based on version. If someone wrote an article for 9.6 it
may or may not apply for 11 but that doesn't matter. People are always
generating new content.

JD

>> Thanks!
>>
>> JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

Дата:
> On 07/16/2018 01:39 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> Not sure this is much different from the Wiki unless:

> The wiki is certainly "a place" that can be used for this but the wiki
> takes a lot of effort to find things on it, manage it etc...

You haven't exactly explained how that wouldn't be equally true of
this hypothetical new thing.

            regards, tom lane

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Benjamin Scherrey (scherrey@proteus-tech.com) wrote:
> One thing I recall very fondly about the early days of the Lamp stack was
> that the official documentation of PHP and MySQL was augmented with user
> created practical examples. It was still reference documentation organized
> by command or function, but in a comment-like section underneath the formal
> docs were user provided short practical examples of how the command would
> be used in real situations. One was able to teach themselves how to build a
> dynamic website front ending a database just by exploring the core docs and
> reading the examples.

We have a place for this to go, in the official docs, already split out
by version, and it starts here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/tutorial-start.html

Adding more to that certainly sounds good to me.

So, for my 2c, at least, "patches welcome."

Drive-by comments saying that we need a place for this, when we already
have one, and saying that the community should develop it, while not
acknowledging or contributing to what we already have, does not strike
me as particularly useful.

We tried having a comment area on the docs and those ultimately ended up
being... less than ideal.  I'm not anxious to repeat that experiment.
I'm glad it worked for other communities, but it didn't work for us and
we have a good bit of history to show that.

The best way to improve that section of the docs is to write up good
user example-based documentation and submit it as patches.  I'd
certainly be happy to see that and to try and help by moving such
patches forward to commit.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 07/16/2018 01:48 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 07/16/2018 01:39 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>
>> Not sure this is much different from the Wiki unless:
>
> The wiki is certainly "a place" that can be used for this but the wiki
> takes a lot of effort to find things on it, manage it etc...
>
>> Who is going to?:
>>
>> 1) Run/maintain it.
>>

> Well this is a community. The hope would be that the community would
> step up. As a proposer (and writer) I am certainly willing to participate.

In theory a nice idea, but community encompasses everybody and when it
comes to organization everybody = nobody. Without some sort of editorial
board running this then we are back to the Wiki.

>> 2) Get people to contribute.
>
> I don't think this is nearly as difficult except if we create artificial
> barriers to contribution (writing in the wiki is a highly subpar
> experience).

Not difficult, but folks will write about what they are interested in
which is not necessarily what users are looking for.

>> 3) Edit new content, clean up old content
>>

> So some of this could be original content, some of it could just be
> links to various blogs/articles that already exist and some could be
> maintenance. However, I see maintenance as a secondary issue because we
> would publish based on version. If someone wrote an article for 9.6 it
> may or may not apply for 11 but that doesn't matter. People are always
> generating new content.

Actually I see maintenance as a big if not the primary issue. The only
thing worse then no docs are docs that are not vetted/maintained. The
list is full of posts from folks that got information from dubious
sources and did things in error. If this project is to be useful then
the quality of the information should match that of the official
documentation and that is a high standard.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 07/16/2018 01:59 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:

> We have a place for this to go, in the official docs, already split out
> by version, and it starts here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/tutorial-start.html
>
> Adding more to that certainly sounds good to me.

I didn't know that existed. I will take a look.

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 07/16/2018 02:22 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 07/16/2018 01:59 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>>
>> We have a place for this to go, in the official docs, already split out
>> by version, and it starts here:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/tutorial-start.html
>>
>> Adding more to that certainly sounds good to me.
>
> I didn't know that existed. I will take a look.

Well now that I see it is just the "tutorial" in the official docs, I
disagree that is the correct place to start. At least not if it is going
to ship with the 1000+ pages of documentation we already have. What I am
envisioning is something with a strong SEO that gives pointed and direct
information about solving a specific problem. A tutorial book could
certainly do that as could (what I am really talking about) is Postgres
recipes or something like that.

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
Vick Khera

We have a place for this to go, in the official docs, already split out
by version, and it starts here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/tutorial-start.html

Adding more to that certainly sounds good to me.

I didn't know that existed. I will take a look.

Well now that I see it is just the "tutorial" in the official docs, I disagree that is the correct place to start. At least not if it is going to ship with the 1000+ pages of documentation we already have. What I am envisioning is something with a strong SEO that gives pointed and direct information about solving a specific problem. A tutorial book could certainly do that as could (what I am really talking about) is Postgres recipes or something like that.

I didn't know it existed either, mostly because I know how to ask google to do things, and the things I need to know are not covered here (yet). This does seem to me to be the ideal place to add more how to documentation to augment all the reference docs we have.

As for some "strong SEO" I think already the top hit for almost everything I seek postgres related is the official manual, so it seems to have good SEO. The only big improvement would be somehow to tell google to only show me the newest version of the manual, not all of the older ones too, for the same page.

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата: