Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: User documentation vs Official Docs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Benjamin Scherrey (scherrey@proteus-tech.com) wrote:
> One thing I recall very fondly about the early days of the Lamp stack was
> that the official documentation of PHP and MySQL was augmented with user
> created practical examples. It was still reference documentation organized
> by command or function, but in a comment-like section underneath the formal
> docs were user provided short practical examples of how the command would
> be used in real situations. One was able to teach themselves how to build a
> dynamic website front ending a database just by exploring the core docs and
> reading the examples.

We have a place for this to go, in the official docs, already split out
by version, and it starts here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/tutorial-start.html

Adding more to that certainly sounds good to me.

So, for my 2c, at least, "patches welcome."

Drive-by comments saying that we need a place for this, when we already
have one, and saying that the community should develop it, while not
acknowledging or contributing to what we already have, does not strike
me as particularly useful.

We tried having a comment area on the docs and those ultimately ended up
being... less than ideal.  I'm not anxious to repeat that experiment.
I'm glad it worked for other communities, but it didn't work for us and
we have a good bit of history to show that.

The best way to improve that section of the docs is to write up good
user example-based documentation and submit it as patches.  I'd
certainly be happy to see that and to try and help by moving such
patches forward to commit.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: User documentation vs Official Docs
Сообщение: Re: User documentation vs Official Docs