Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: User documentation vs Official Docs
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 17.07.18 02:13, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Sounds like wiki pages could solve need this pretty conveniently.  If
>> and when the content is mature enough and migrates to the tutorial main
>> documentation pages, the wiki pages can be replaced with redirects to
>> those.
>
> Anyone who writes a lot is going to rebel against using a wiki. They are
> one of the worst to write in from a productivity perspective. I would
> rather write in Docbook, at least then I can template everything and we
> could have a standard xsl sheet etc...

I don't really buy that.  The wiki seems just fine for writing short to
medium size how-to type articles.  We already have good content of that
sort in the wiki right now.  It's not like there isn't going to be
anyone who will rebel against any of the other tool chains that have
been mentioned.

I think the biggest problem with the wiki for that type of content has nothing to do with the formatting, and everything to do with the structure. By definition the wiki is unstructured. One could put a structure on top of it, with proper categories and indexing pages. That's done for some info on it, but not for all. There's also a lot of outdated information.

Both those things are things that could be solved by somebody with the time and willingness to trawl through the wiki to update such things, and then to keep things updated. But keeping it updated is an equal amount of work regardless of platform. If we find somebody who wants to do that, then at least *starting out* on the wiki is a good idea. It's usually a Good Enough (TM) system. And the most common things I see people writing such things in today are Markdown (hi github!) or RST (hi Sphinx!) anyway, both of which are pretty similar to the wiki markup. Which means that the project could *start out* using the wiki, and once there is enough content to prove the idea other platforms could be looked at and it would be easy enough to migrate that data out there (even if just by copy/paste) if it becomes a need.

Сообщение: Re: User documentation vs Official Docs
Сообщение: Re: User documentation vs Official Docs