Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

От Tim Cross
Тема Re: User documentation vs Official Docs
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On 17.07.18 02:13, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On 07/16/2018 05:08 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds like wiki pages could solve need this pretty conveniently.  If
>>> and when the content is mature enough and migrates to the tutorial main
>>> documentation pages, the wiki pages can be replaced with redirects to
>>> those.
>>
>> Anyone who writes a lot is going to rebel against using a wiki. They are
>> one of the worst to write in from a productivity perspective. I would
>> rather write in Docbook, at least then I can template everything and we
>> could have a standard xsl sheet etc...
>
> I don't really buy that.  The wiki seems just fine for writing short to
> medium size how-to type articles.  We already have good content of that
> sort in the wiki right now.  It's not like there isn't going to be
> anyone who will rebel against any of the other tool chains that have
> been mentioned.

If using web widgets to author content on the wiki is the main
impediment for contributing content, maybe we should see if the wiki
provides alternative access methods. I've used wikis in the past which
allowed users to upload content via xmlrpc, api etc. Perhaps something
similar could be made available for those making significant
contributions or to a select few 'curators' who could accept content
from others.

If it is the interface that is the problem, we should try to address
that first rather than simply switching to something new which will have
its own problems. However, I don't know if this is the case or not.

Tim

--
Tim Cross