Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> True, and any fixed day of the week would let out X number of people
> anyway.  But ignoring scheduling difficulties, my point here is that
> it seems like the shorter the cycle, the better, for a lot of purposes.
> Can we do any better than once-a-month, or is that the limit given that
> people need flexible schedules within the fest?

Also consider that the PostgreSQL development world represents a lot of
different time zones.  For me to have some dialog with Tatsuo about a
patch, for example, takes at least 24 hours for a simple back-and-forth.

If we were a full-time development shop in a single time zone, we could
use scrum and do a *daily* integration.  Many of my clients do.  But for
a high-distributed volunteer-based organization, I don't think it's
practical.

I also find the one-day-a-week attractive.  It would make patch review
much more immediate.  However, not only would it raise issues with
people's schedules, it would also require us to adopt new tools or
modify the CF code.

Is there anything between one-week-a-month and one-day-a-week?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.