Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Fwiw I would have agreed with you on the basic question. Just because
> we've said that users can count on N years of support doesn't mean
> there's anything binding us to *not* support things for N+x years.

Certainly.  The question is what's the point --- and perhaps even more
to the point, if we extend 8.2 support, when are we going to stop
extending it?

> However your theory was all predicated on the idea that supporting 8.2
> was not much incremental effort and Dave said that's not true so this
> is all moot. Doing it Windows-excluded seems not worth the effort ---
> unless... what version of Postgres was shipped in the last supported
> releases of major distributions? I think it was 8.1 in Ubuntu Hardy
> and 8.4 in Ubuntu Lucid so that's irrelevant. What about Redhat and
> Debian?

So far as Red Hat is concerned, neither 8.2 nor 8.3 are of any interest
whatsoever.  I'm still on the hook for 7.4 and 8.1 to some extent, but
only very severe security issues are likely to be considered for those.

Сообщение: Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers)
Сообщение: Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers)