Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

От Joshua Berkus
Тема Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert, Tom,

> Hm ... there are people out there who think *I* get high off rejecting
> patches. I have a t-shirt to prove it. But I seem to be pretty
> ineffective at it too, judging from these numbers.

It's a question of how we reject patches, especially first-time patches.   We can reject them in a way which makes the
submittermore likely to fix them and/or work on something else, or we can reject them in a way which discourages people
fromsubmitting to PostgreSQL at all.

For example, the emails to Radoslaw mentioned nothing about pg_ident, documented spacing requirements, accidental
inclusionof files he didn't mean to touch, etc.  Instead, a couple of people told him he should abandon his chosen
developmentIDE in favor of emacs or vim.  Radoslaw happens to be thick-skinned and persistent, but other first-time
submitterswould have given up at that point and run off to a more welcoming project.

Mind, even better would be to get our "so you're submitting a patch" documentation and tools into shape; that way, all
weneed to do is send the first-time submitter a link.  Will work on that between testing ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.