Обсуждение: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
I've been searching for a "PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices" with not much luck,
so I've started my own. At the risk of stirring up a storm of controversy, I would
appreciate additional suggestions and feedback.

As a way of clarifying, generally, a DBA is someone that is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the database, while a developer is someone that writes code and SQL statements to update the data.

I've attached a file with a few starters that although are numbered, are in no special order.

Please keep in mind the attached are purely based on my years of experience working with developers that are not familiar with PostgreSQL and are not hard and fast rules, but general guidelines.

Hopefully this will result in something that brings about harmony between PostgreSQL DBA's and Developers.

--
Melvin Davidson

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 11:15:07AM -0400, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
>
> 1. Prefix ALL literals with an Escape
>    EG:  SELECT E'This is a \'quoted literal \'';
>         SELECT E'This is an unquoted literal';
>
>    Doing so will prevent the annoying "WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal"

This is certainly not Best Practice as the warning is
annoying for a reason.

Best Practice would rather be something along the lines:

    Avoid coding in a way that triggers "WARNING:
    nonstandard use of escape in a string literal". If you
    cannot comply with this rule document your reasons.

>         Good example:
>         CREATE TABLE accounts
>         ( accout_id bigint NOT NULL ,

Typo.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
>This is certainly not Best Practice as the warning is
>annoying for a reason.

>Best Practice would rather be something along the lines:

  >      Avoid coding in a way that triggers "WARNING:
  >      nonstandard use of escape in a string literal". If you
  >      cannot comply with this rule document your reasons.

Thanks for the suggestion. For the past few months I've been dealing with an error log that is filled with these warnings simply because
the developers do not comprehend how to use ( or the requirement to use)  an escape clause.

>         Good example:
>         CREATE TABLE accounts
>         ( accout_id bigint NOT NULL ,

Typo.

So noted, I'll correct.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 11:15:07AM -0400, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
>
> 1. Prefix ALL literals with an Escape
>    EG:  SELECT E'This is a \'quoted literal \'';
>         SELECT E'This is an unquoted literal';
>
>    Doing so will prevent the annoying "WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal"

This is certainly not Best Practice as the warning is
annoying for a reason.

Best Practice would rather be something along the lines:

        Avoid coding in a way that triggers "WARNING:
        nonstandard use of escape in a string literal". If you
        cannot comply with this rule document your reasons.

>         Good example:
>         CREATE TABLE accounts
>         ( accout_id bigint NOT NULL ,

Typo.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Melvin Davidson

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

Дата:
Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> writes:
>> Best Practice would rather be something along the lines:

> Thanks for the suggestion. For the past few months I've been dealing with
> an error log that is filled with these warnings simply because
> the developers do not comprehend how to use ( or the requirement to use)
> an escape clause.

IMO best practice in this area is "run with standard_conforming_strings = ON".
If you're seeing this warning at all, it's because you aren't doing that,
which means your code is unnecessarily unportable to other DBMSes.
Adopting a coding policy of always using E'' would make that worse.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
Tom,

Thank you for pointing out "run with standard_conforming_strings = ON"..
However, that is NOT the problem.
What is occurring is that the developers are sending strings like 'Mr. M\'vey',
which, if we set standard_conforming_strings = ON, would, and does, result in errors and the statement failing,
which is a lot less desirable that a simple warning.

Therefore, I am trying to educate the developers in the proper method of escaping strings,
instead of loading up the error log with annoying warnings.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> writes:
>> Best Practice would rather be something along the lines:

> Thanks for the suggestion. For the past few months I've been dealing with
> an error log that is filled with these warnings simply because
> the developers do not comprehend how to use ( or the requirement to use)
> an escape clause.

IMO best practice in this area is "run with standard_conforming_strings = ON".
If you're seeing this warning at all, it's because you aren't doing that,
which means your code is unnecessarily unportable to other DBMSes.
Adopting a coding policy of always using E'' would make that worse.

Melvin Davidson

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
Andy Colson
Дата:

On 08/22/2015 02:40 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Thank you for pointing out "run with standard_conforming_strings = ON"..
> However, that is NOT the problem.
> What is occurring is that the developers are sending strings like 'Mr. M\'vey',
> which, if we set standard_conforming_strings = ON, would, and does, result in errors and the statement failing,
> which is a lot less desirable that a simple warning.
>
> Therefore, I am trying to educate the developers in the proper method of escaping strings,
> instead of loading up the error log with annoying warnings.

Please dont top post.

But you are not educating them correctly.  Using E'' isnt right.  The correct way to escape a quote is to double quote
it: 'Mr. M''vey'

-Andy

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
>The correct way to escape a quote is to double quote it:  'Mr. M''vey'

That is a matter of opinion. However, the real problem is the enclosed backslashes, which is
beyond our control at this point. Therefore, the best solution is to use ESCAPE E.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:

    Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com <mailto:melvin6925@gmail.com>> writes:
    >> Best Practice would rather be something along the lines:

    > Thanks for the suggestion. For the past few months I've been dealing with
    > an error log that is filled with these warnings simply because
    > the developers do not comprehend how to use ( or the requirement to use)
    > an escape clause.

    IMO best practice in this area is "run with standard_conforming_strings = ON".
    If you're seeing this warning at all, it's because you aren't doing that,
    which means your code is unnecessarily unportable to other DBMSes.
    Adopting a coding policy of always using E'' would make that worse.

                             regards, tom lane

Thank you for pointing out "run with standard_conforming_strings = ON"..
However, that is NOT the problem.
What is occurring is that the developers are sending strings like 'Mr. M\'vey',
which, if we set standard_conforming_strings = ON, would, and does, result in errors and the statement failing,
which is a lot less desirable that a simple warning.

Therefore, I am trying to educate the developers in the proper method of escaping strings,
instead of loading up the error log with annoying warnings.

Please dont top post.

But you are not educating them correctly.  Using E'' isnt right.  The correct way to escape a quote is to double quote it:  'Mr. M''vey'

-Andy

Melvin Davidson

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Saturday, August 22, 2015, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
>The correct way to escape a quote is to double quote it:  'Mr. M''vey'

That is a matter of opinion. However, the real problem is the enclosed backslashes, which is
beyond our control at this point. Therefore, the best solution is to use ESCAPE E.

Why is this a best practice and not just "how things work"?  If you want to use backlash escapes you use E''.  If you don't use a backslash escape it doesn't matter - except if you are writing a backslash and don't want to have to escape it.

Beyond that turn your idea of best practice into a requirement and enable standard-conforming-strings.

Always using E'' is pragmatic advice but hardly worthy of being considered best practice.  The best practice is to write code in such a way that you can leave standard conforming strings off AND not generate any warnings.

David J.

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 8/22/2015 12:40 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
> What is occurring is that the developers are sending strings like 'Mr.
> M\'vey',
> which, if we set standard_conforming_strings = ON, would, and does,
> result in errors and the statement failing,
> which is a lot less desirable that a simple warning.

if your developers were writing invalid C code (or whatever other
language they program in), would you modify the compiler to accept their
invalid syntax?   or would you tell the developer to fix their code
properly ?   if the developers refused, why would you not fire them on
the spot for incompetence ?

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
John,

I believe you and I think alike. The truth is, I was brought on as a consultant to help this client, so I do not have the authority to fire the developers. Rather, I am trying to help them fix the absolute worst designed DB and coding I have seen in 15 years of working with PostgreSQL. So I've asked for input on additional guidelines to help try to help them understand the right way to do things.

Unfortunately, so far, people seem to fixate on item one of my guidelines and I've had no additional suggestions.

What is occurring is that the developers are sending strings like 'Mr. M\'vey',
which, if we set standard_conforming_strings = ON, would, and does, result in errors and the statement failing,
which is a lot less desirable that a simple warning.

if your developers were writing invalid C code (or whatever other language they program in), would you modify the compiler to accept their invalid syntax?   or would you tell the developer to fix their code properly ?   if the developers refused, why would you not fire them on the spot for incompetence ?

Melvin Davidson

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От
"David G. Johnston"