Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 08/25/2015 08:40 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> Stop being so technical. When we/I speak of natural keys, we are talking
> about the column
> that would NATURALly lend itself as the primary key.

Pretty sure this is a technical list:)

> No one ever said a number is not natural. just that there is no need to
> duplicate uniqueness
> with a separate number.

I would agree, but I have interacted with people, especially PHBes,
where a duplicate 'hidden' key is a life saver. See more below.

> IOW: If we have an account table, then the account_id or account_no
>       would be the primary key. There is no need to have a separate
> serial id as the primary key.
>
>       Likewise, if we have a car table, then registration (or
> vehicle_id) is preferred.
>
>       EG: Good
>       CREATE TABLE car
>       (
>        registration_no varchar(30) not null,
>        car_make       varchar(25) not null,
>        model          varchar(15) not null;
>        build_year     date not null;
>        owner          varchar(50),
>        CONSTRAINT car_pk PRIMARY KEY (registration_no)
>        );
>
>       bad
>       CREATE TABLE car
>       (
>        id              serial not null,
>        registration_no varchar(30) not null,
>        car_make       varchar(25) not null,
>        model          varchar(15) not null;
>        build_year     date not null;
>        owner          varchar(50),
>        CONSTRAINT car_pk PRIMARY KEY (id)
>        );
>
> The benefit in avoiding arbitrary and simple values for the key is that
> it makes
> the database design much more logical.
>
> Consider:
> SELECT c.registration_no,
>         c.car_make,
>         p.part_no
>     FROM car c
>     JOIN parts p ON ( p.registration_no = c.registration_no)
>   WHERE registration_no = <some_var>;

Pretty sure parts are not unique to an exact vehicle, unless you are
talking a totally handmade one. They are not even unique to make and
model. As an example, I used to work on Class B Isuzu trucks. These
models(FTR) where also built for Chevrolet as the Forward models. So
right of the bat there where two part numbers for each part, one that
started with 9 if you got it from Chevrolet and one with 11 from Isuzu,
if memory serves. Then Isuzu decided to reorganize their part numbers,
so that introduced another number, all pointing to the exact same part.
Then there where those parts available from the parts houses(NAPA, etc).

Then there was the greenhouse I worked for where we supplied UPC coded
tags for our customers. In the beginning, it was simple, the item
portion of the UPC was unique and with the company prefix served as a
'natural' key for the tags. Then the chain stores we worked with must
have all gone to the same seminar on how to be Walmart and decided they
did not want unique numbers, but UPCs tied to price groups that covered
a variety of plants. Luckily, I was too stupid to know surrogate keys
where bad and had a sequence attached to the tag table. This then became
the tag id and made life a lot easier during the transition. It still
remains there, because people are people and 'natural' tends to be
artificial and transient.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices