Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

I think a lot of people here are missing the point. I was trying to give examples of natural keys, but a lot of people are taking great delight
in pointing out exceptions to examples, rather than understanding the point.
So for the sake of argument, a natural key is something that in itself is unique and the possibility of a duplicate does not exist.
Before ANYONE continues to insist that a serial id column is good, consider the case where the number of tuples will exceed a bigint.
Don't say it cannot happen, because it can.
However, if you have an alphanumeric field, let's say varchar 50, and it's guaranteed that it will never have a duplicate, then THAT is a natural primary
key and beats the hell out of a generic "id" field.

Further to the point, since I started this thread, I am holding to it and will not discuss "natural primary keys" any further.

Other suggestions for good PostgreSQL Developer database (not web app) guidelines are still welcome.