Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 26/08/15 12:17, Melvin Davidson wrote:
[...]
> So for the sake of argument, a natural key is something that in itself
> is unique and the possibility of a duplicate does not exist.
> Before ANYONE continues to insist that a serial id column is good,
> consider the case where the number of tuples will exceed a bigint.
> Don't say it cannot happen, because it can.

If you create tuples in your table at the rate of a million records per
second every hour of every day of every year, it will take over 250,000
years to exceed the value of a bigint!

[...]
> --
> *Melvin Davidson*
> I reserve the right to fantasize.  Whether or not you
> wish to share my fantasy is entirely up to you.
I will refrain from marking snarky comments about your sig - tempting
though it might be!  :-)

От: "George Weaver"
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
От: Gavin Flower
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices