Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Aug 24, 2015, at 6:53 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You are right, he was probably talking about FK's. I was just so frustrated about people insisting that using "ID" as
theprimary key in every table is a "good" idea,
> I didn't bother to reply previously. I stand firm on my belief that the primary key should be something meaningful
andNOT "id" just for the sake of having a unique numeric key.

What, pray tell, is the unique natural key of person in any meaningfully large domain such as state? Certainly not name
+birthdate.  Current address isn’t guaranteed. Social isn’t reliable and actually not truly unique.

Even given that there are models which are made of entities with legitimate attributes which per force define a unique
instance,I see no benefit in avoiding the convenience of an arbitrary and simple value for the key.  Is it the overhead
ofgenerating and storing one more value per tuple that you can’t abide?

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
От: Gavin Flower
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices