Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

От John Turner
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 12:40:37 -0400, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
wrote:

> On 08/24/2015 09:34 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>> And again, I am talking about _database_ design, not Web apps. Letting
>> Web developers design a database to work with their app, is a very,
>> Very, VERY bad idea.
>
> And I don't argue that but we also live in a world based on reality.
> DBAs are rare, web developers who think they know how to DBA (and are
> wrong) are anywhere from 8 to 40 bucks an hour depending on where you
> are paying them.
>
>> It is far better to let DBA's and "database develeopers" design a good
>> database, then to let those apps mold a db into a non-optimum design.
>
> It is far better to recognize the realities of the market place and
> document why/how to do something that understands those realities than
> to put in place a pedantic document that will only let DBAs sit there
> and feel good about themselves.
>
> In short, I agree with you, we just don't live in that world. I am not
> even suggesting that you remove your very good work. I am suggesting
> that you allow for the fact that what you are suggesting is probably <
> 20% of designs out there and therefore we have to compromise perfect to
> good enough.
>
> JD

I'm all for development via ORMs, but alas, the ORMs would've done well to
have given more consideration to key conventions...

I would only add that if the app is of any significance for an LOB, then
at some point the schema would need to be validated against real business
keys.

- John

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices