Обсуждение: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Should we change the default of the password_encryption setting to
'scram-sha-256' in PG12?

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

Дата:
> Should we change the default of the password_encryption setting to
> 'scram-sha-256' in PG12?

I thought we were going to wait a bit longer --- that just got added
last year, no?  What do we know about the state of support in client
libraries?

            regards, tom lane

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 12:59:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Should we change the default of the password_encryption setting to
> > 'scram-sha-256' in PG12?
>
> I thought we were going to wait a bit longer --- that just got added
> last year, no?  What do we know about the state of support in client
> libraries?

Great idea!  Does it make sense to test all, or at least some
significant fraction of the connectors listed in
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Client_Libraries by default?

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 08:23:06PM +0200, David Fetter wrote:
> Great idea!  Does it make sense to test all, or at least some
> significant fraction of the connectors listed in
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Client_Libraries by default?

This is a more interesting list:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers

From what I can see, the major drivers not using directly libpq
support our SASL protocol: JDBC and npgsql.  However I can count three
of them which still don't support it: Crystal, pq (Go) and asyncpg.
pq and asyncpg are very popular on github, with at least 3000 stars
each, which is a lot I think.  I have also double-checked their source
code and I am seeing no trace of SASL or SCRAM, so it seems to me that
we may want to wait more before switching the default.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

Дата:
> From what I can see, the major drivers not using directly libpq
> support our SASL protocol: JDBC and npgsql.  However I can count three
> of them which still don't support it: Crystal, pq (Go) and asyncpg.
> pq and asyncpg are very popular on github, with at least 3000 stars
> each, which is a lot I think.  I have also double-checked their source
> code and I am seeing no trace of SASL or SCRAM, so it seems to me that
> we may want to wait more before switching the default.

Perhaps we could reach out to the authors of those libraries,
and encourage them to provide support in the next year or so?

I don't doubt that switching to scram-sha-256 is a good idea in
the long run.  The idea here was to give driver authors a reasonable
amount of time to update.  I don't really think that one year
counts as a "reasonable amount of time" given how slowly this
project moves overall ... but we don't want to wait forever ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2019-04-08 01:34:42 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
> > From what I can see, the major drivers not using directly libpq
> > support our SASL protocol: JDBC and npgsql.  However I can count three
> > of them which still don't support it: Crystal, pq (Go) and asyncpg.
> > pq and asyncpg are very popular on github, with at least 3000 stars
> > each, which is a lot I think.  I have also double-checked their source
> > code and I am seeing no trace of SASL or SCRAM, so it seems to me that
> > we may want to wait more before switching the default.
>
> Perhaps we could reach out to the authors of those libraries,
> and encourage them to provide support in the next year or so?

Seems go/pq might get it soon-ish: https://github.com/lib/pq/pull/833

There doesn't appear to be much movement on the crystal front (
https://github.com/will/crystal-pg/issues/154 ), but I don't think it's
popular enough to really worry.  There's an issue for asyncpg
https://github.com/MagicStack/asyncpg/issues/314 - but not too much
movement either.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 08/04/2019 08:42, Andres Freund wrote:
> Seems go/pq might get it soon-ish: https://github.com/lib/pq/pull/833

I wouldn't hold my breath. That's the third PR to add SCRAM support
already, see also https://github.com/lib/pq/pull/788 and
https://github.com/lib/pq/pull/608. The project seems to lack the
committer manpower or round tuits to review and push these.

- Heikki

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 09:08:05AM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I wouldn't hold my breath. That's the third PR to add SCRAM support already,
> see also https://github.com/lib/pq/pull/788 and
> https://github.com/lib/pq/pull/608. The project seems to lack the committer
> manpower or round tuits to review and push these.

I am wondering on the contrary if switching the default on Postgres
side would make things move faster on their side though.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Sergei Kornilov
Дата:
Hi

> I am wondering on the contrary if switching the default on Postgres
> side would make things move faster on their side though.

I think we need give more time before change default. I suggest not to repeat the quick change of default to a new
valueas it was in the MySQL 8.0 last year [1].

*1 https://mysqlserverteam.com/upgrading-to-mysql-8-0-default-authentication-plugin-considerations/

regards, Sergei

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 2:38 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 09:08:05AM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > I wouldn't hold my breath. That's the third PR to add SCRAM support already,
> > see also https://github.com/lib/pq/pull/788 and
> > https://github.com/lib/pq/pull/608. The project seems to lack the committer
> > manpower or round tuits to review and push these.
>
> I am wondering on the contrary if switching the default on Postgres
> side would make things move faster on their side though.

Yeah, if we're not going to do it now we should announce that we will
do it in the next release.

cheers

andrew

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-04-08 13:52, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Yeah, if we're not going to do it now we should announce that we will
> do it in the next release.

Targeting PG13 seems reasonable.

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
> On 2019-04-08 13:52, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Yeah, if we're not going to do it now we should announce that we will
>> do it in the next release.
>
> Targeting PG13 seems reasonable.

Counter-argument: SCRAM has been available for 2 years since 10 feature
freeze, there has been a lot of time already given to implement support
for it. Given is at least 5 months until PG12 comes out, and each of the
popular drivers already has patches in place, we could default it for 12
and let them know this is a reality.

Given it's superior to the existing methods, it'd be better to encourage
the drivers to get this in place sooner. Given what I know about md5,
I've tried to avoid building apps with drivers that don't support SCRAM.

That said, that would be an aggressive approach, so I would not object
to changing the default for PG13 and giving 17 months vs. 5, but we do
let md5 persist that much longer.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 2:38 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 2019-04-08 13:52, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Yeah, if we're not going to do it now we should announce that we will
>> do it in the next release.
>
> Targeting PG13 seems reasonable.

Yeah, that would be fairly consistent with how we usually do htings

Counter-argument: SCRAM has been available for 2 years since 10 feature
freeze, there has been a lot of time already given to implement support
for it. Given is at least 5 months until PG12 comes out, and each of the
popular drivers already has patches in place, we could default it for 12
and let them know this is a reality.

You can't really count feature freeze, you have to count release I think. And basically we're saying they had 2 years. Which in itself would've been perfectly reasonable, *if we told them*. But we didn't.

I think the real question is, is it OK to give them basically 5months warning, by right now saying if you don't have a release out in 6 months, things will break.

Given it's superior to the existing methods, it'd be better to encourage
the drivers to get this in place sooner. Given what I know about md5,
I've tried to avoid building apps with drivers that don't support SCRAM.

That said, that would be an aggressive approach, so I would not object
to changing the default for PG13 and giving 17 months vs. 5, but we do
let md5 persist that much longer.

I think we definitely should not make it *later* than 13.

Maybe we should simply reach out to those driver developers, it's not that many of them after all, and *ask* if they would think it's a problem if we change it in 12.

--

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 4/8/19 8:49 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 2:38 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org
> <mailto:jkatz@postgresql.org>> wrote:

>     Counter-argument: SCRAM has been available for 2 years since 10 feature
>     freeze, there has been a lot of time already given to implement support
>     for it. Given is at least 5 months until PG12 comes out, and each of the
>     popular drivers already has patches in place, we could default it for 12
>     and let them know this is a reality.
>

> You can't really count feature freeze, you have to count release I
> think. And basically we're saying they had 2 years. Which in itself
> would've been perfectly reasonable, *if we told them*. But we didn't.
>
> I think the real question is, is it OK to give them basically 5months
> warning, by right now saying if you don't have a release out in 6
> months, things will break.

Yeah, that's a good and fair question.

>     That said, that would be an aggressive approach, so I would not object
>     to changing the default for PG13 and giving 17 months vs. 5, but we do
>     let md5 persist that much longer.
>

> I think we definitely should not make it *later* than 13.

+1

> Maybe we should simply reach out to those driver developers, it's not
> that many of them after all, and *ask* if they would think it's a
> problem if we change it in 12.

It wouldn't hurt. I went through the list again[1] to see which ones
don't have it and updated:

- pgsql (Erlang) - this webpage doesn't load, maybe we should remove? It
may have been replaced by this one[2]?

- erlang-pgsql-driver (Erlang) - on the page it says it's unsupported,
so we should definitely remove it from the wiki and from consideration

- node-postgres (JavaScript) - they added SCRAM in 7.9.0 so I've updated
the wiki

- pq (Go) - No; as mentioned there are 3 separate patches in consideration

- crystal-pg (Ruby) No; open issue, not patch

- asyncpg (Python) No; open issue, suggestion on how to implement but no
patch

Let me also add:

- pgx (Go)[3] - another popular Go driver, there is an open patch for
SCRAM support

So IMV it's pq, crystal-pg, asyncpg, & pgx we have to reach out to,
pending resolution on Erlang libs.

Given the supported libraries all have open pull requests or issues, it
should be fairly easy to inquire if they would be able to support it for
PG12 vs PG13. If this sounds like a reasonable plan, I'm happy to reach
out and see.

Jonathan

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers
[2] https://github.com/semiocast/pgsql
[3] https://github.com/jackc/pgx

Вложения

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

Дата:
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> On 4/8/19 8:49 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> I think the real question is, is it OK to give them basically 5months
>> warning, by right now saying if you don't have a release out in 6
>> months, things will break.

> Given the supported libraries all have open pull requests or issues, it
> should be fairly easy to inquire if they would be able to support it for
> PG12 vs PG13. If this sounds like a reasonable plan, I'm happy to reach
> out and see.

I think that the right course here is to notify these developers that
we will change the default in PG13, and it'd be good if they put out
stable releases with SCRAM support well before that.  This discussion
seems to be talking as though it's okay if we allow zero daylight
between availability of fixed drivers and release of a PG version that
defaults to using SCRAM.  That'd be totally unfair to packagers and
users.  There needs to be a pretty fair-size window for those fixed
drivers to propagate into the wild.  A year is not too much; IMO it's
barely enough.

            regards, tom lane

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 4/8/19 10:08 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
>> On 4/8/19 8:49 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> I think the real question is, is it OK to give them basically 5months
>>> warning, by right now saying if you don't have a release out in 6
>>> months, things will break.
>
>> Given the supported libraries all have open pull requests or issues, it
>> should be fairly easy to inquire if they would be able to support it for
>> PG12 vs PG13. If this sounds like a reasonable plan, I'm happy to reach
>> out and see.
>
> I think that the right course here is to notify these developers that
> we will change the default in PG13, and it'd be good if they put out
> stable releases with SCRAM support well before that.

+1; I'm happy to reach out with that messaging, referencing this thread.

> This discussion
> seems to be talking as though it's okay if we allow zero daylight
> between availability of fixed drivers and release of a PG version that
> defaults to using SCRAM.  That'd be totally unfair to packagers and
> users.  There needs to be a pretty fair-size window for those fixed
> drivers to propagate into the wild.  A year is not too much; IMO it's
> barely enough.

I agree in principle, esp. related to testing + packaging (and I think
packaging would be my biggest concern), but IMV this primarily would
affect new applications, which is why I thought to provide reasoning for
a more aggressive timeline. You typically keep you pg.conf settings
consistent between version upgrades (with exceptions, e.g. based on
upgrade method). That could also inadvertently block people from
upgrading, too, but the bigger risk would be new application development
on PG12.

Looking at the uncovered user base too, it's not the largest portion of
our users, though accessing PostgreSQL via Go is certainly increasingly
rapidly so I'm very sympathetic that we don't break their accessibility
(and I've personally used asyncpg and would not want my apps to break
either :).

Anyway, I primarily wanted to see if an aggressive timeline to update
our default password approach would make sense esp. given we've had this
feature around for some time, and, again, it is far superior to the
other password based methods. I'm fine with being cautious, just wanted
to ensure we're not being too cautious about getting our users to
utilize a feature with better security.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
I'm not sure I understand all this talk about deferring changing the
default to pg13.  AFAICS only a few fringe drivers are missing support;
not changing in pg12 means we're going to leave *all* users, even those
whose clients have support, without the additional security for 18 more
months.

IIUC the vast majority of clients already support SCRAM auth.  So the
vast majority of PG users can take advantage of the additional security.
I think the only massive-adoption exception is JDBC, and apparently they
already have working patches for SCRAM.

Like many other configuration parameters, setting the default for this
one is a trade-off: give the most benefit to most users, causing the
least possible pain to users for whom the default is not good.  Users
that require opening connections from clients that have not updated
should just set password_encryption to md5.  It's not like things will
suddenly blow up in their faces.

IMO we don't need to wait until every single client in existence has
updated to support SCRAM.  After all, they've already had two years.

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2019-04-08 13:34:12 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand all this talk about deferring changing the
> default to pg13.  AFAICS only a few fringe drivers are missing support;
> not changing in pg12 means we're going to leave *all* users, even those
> whose clients have support, without the additional security for 18 more
> months.

Imo making such changes after feature freeze is somewhat poor
form. These arguments would have made a ton more sense at the
*beginning* of the v12 development cycle, because that'd have given all
these driver authors a lot more heads up.

> IIUC the vast majority of clients already support SCRAM auth.  So the
> vast majority of PG users can take advantage of the additional security.
> I think the only massive-adoption exception is JDBC, and apparently they
> already have working patches for SCRAM.

If jdbc didn't support scram, it'd be an absolutely clear no-go imo. A
pretty large fraction of users use jdbc to access postgres. But it seems
to me that support has been merged for a while:
https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/1014

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

Дата:
>> I'm not sure I understand all this talk about deferring changing the
>> default to pg13.  AFAICS only a few fringe drivers are missing support;
>> not changing in pg12 means we're going to leave *all* users, even those
>> whose clients have support, without the additional security for 18 more
>> months.

> Imo making such changes after feature freeze is somewhat poor
> form.

Yeah.

> If jdbc didn't support scram, it'd be an absolutely clear no-go imo. A
> pretty large fraction of users use jdbc to access postgres. But it seems
> to me that support has been merged for a while:
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/1014

"Merged to upstream" is a whole lot different from "readily available in
the field".  What's the actual status in common Linux distros, for
example?

The scenario that worries me here is somebody using a bleeding-edge PGDG
server package in an environment where the rest of the Postgres ecosystem
is much less bleeding-edge.  The last time that situation would have
caused them can't-connect problems was, um, probably when we introduced
MD5 password encryption.  So they won't be expecting to get blindsided by
something like this.

I'm particularly concerned about the idea that they won't see a problem
during initial testing, only to have things fall over after they enter
production and do a "routine" password change.

            regards, tom lane

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 4/8/19 2:28 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2019-04-08 13:34:12 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> I'm not sure I understand all this talk about deferring changing the
>>> default to pg13.  AFAICS only a few fringe drivers are missing support;
>>> not changing in pg12 means we're going to leave *all* users, even those
>>> whose clients have support, without the additional security for 18 more
>>> months.
>
>> Imo making such changes after feature freeze is somewhat poor
>> form.
>
> Yeah.

Yeah, that's fair.

>> If jdbc didn't support scram, it'd be an absolutely clear no-go imo. A
>> pretty large fraction of users use jdbc to access postgres. But it seems
>> to me that support has been merged for a while:
>> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/1014
>
> "Merged to upstream" is a whole lot different from "readily available in
> the field".  What's the actual status in common Linux distros, for
> example?

Did some limited research just to get a sense.

Well, if it's RHEL7, it's PostgreSQL 9.2 so, unless they're using our
RPM, that definitely does not have it :)

(While researching this, I noticed on the main RHEL8 beta page[1] that
PostgreSQL is actually featured, which is kind of neat. I could not
quickly find which version of the JDBC driver it is shipping with, though)

On Ubuntu, 18.04 LTS ships PG10, but the version of JDBC does not
include SCRAM support. 18.10 ships JDBC w/SCRAM support.

On Debian, stretch is on 9.4. buster has 11 packaged, and JDBC is
shipping with SCRAM support.

> The scenario that worries me here is somebody using a bleeding-edge PGDG
> server package in an environment where the rest of the Postgres ecosystem
> is much less bleeding-edge.  The last time that situation would have
> caused them can't-connect problems was, um, probably when we introduced
> MD5 password encryption.  So they won't be expecting to get blindsided by
> something like this.
>
> I'm particularly concerned about the idea that they won't see a problem
> during initial testing, only to have things fall over after they enter
> production and do a "routine" password change.

Yeah, I think all of the above is fair. It's been awhile since md5 was
added :)

So I think based on that and a quick look at the different distros
indicate that changing the default to PG12 has too much risk of
breakage, but PG13 would be a fair target as long as we start making
noise sooner (now?).

Jonathan

[1] https://developers.redhat.com/rhel8/

Вложения

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Justin Pryzby
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 02:28:30PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 10:41:07AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>> If jdbc didn't support scram, it'd be an absolutely clear no-go imo. A
>> pretty large fraction of users use jdbc to access postgres. But it seems
>> to me that support has been merged for a while:
>> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/1014
>
> "Merged to upstream" is a whole lot different from "readily available in
> the field".  What's the actual status in common Linux distros, for
> example?

I found:

https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/changelog.html#version_42.2.1
Version 42.2.0 (2018-01-17)
Added
Support SCRAM-SHA-256 for PostgreSQL 10 in the JDBC 4.2 version (Java 8+) using the Ongres SCRAM library. PR 842

I see that's in ubuntu, but not any LTS release:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libpostgresql-jdbc-java

And in Debian testing, but no released version:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libpostgresql-jdbc-java

For centos6/7, OS packages would not have scram support:

$ yum list --showdupl postgresql-jdbc
Available Packages
postgresql-jdbc.noarch
9.2.1002-6.el7_5                                                                                           base

postgresql-jdbc.noarch
42.2.5-1.rhel7.1                                                                                           pgdg11

$ yum list --showdupl postgresql-jdbc
Available Packages
postgresql-jdbc.noarch
8.4.704-2.el6                                                                                              base

postgresql-jdbc.noarch
42.2.5-1.rhel6.1                                                                                           pgdg11

> The scenario that worries me here is somebody using a bleeding-edge PGDG
> server package in an environment where the rest of the Postgres ecosystem
> is much less bleeding-edge.

If someone installs a postgres RPM/DEB from postgresql.org, they could also
install postgresql-jdbc, right ?

I realize that doesn't mean that people will consistently know to and actually
do that.

If the default were changed, possibly the PGDG package could define something
like (I haven't done packaging in a long time):
Conflicts: postgresql-jdbc<42.2.0

On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 03:18:42PM -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Well, if it's RHEL7, it's PostgreSQL 9.2 so, unless they're using our
> RPM, that definitely does not have it :)

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Dave Cramer

Alvaro,

I'm not sure I understand all this talk about deferring changing the
default to pg13.  AFAICS only a few fringe drivers are missing support;
not changing in pg12 means we're going to leave *all* users, even those
whose clients have support, without the additional security for 18 more
months.

IIUC the vast majority of clients already support SCRAM auth.  So the
vast majority of PG users can take advantage of the additional security.
I think the only massive-adoption exception is JDBC, and apparently they
already have working patches for SCRAM.

We have more than patches this is already in the driver.

What do you mean by "massive-adoption exception"

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 15:18, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 4/8/19 2:28 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2019-04-08 13:34:12 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> I'm not sure I understand all this talk about deferring changing the
>>> default to pg13.  AFAICS only a few fringe drivers are missing support;
>>> not changing in pg12 means we're going to leave *all* users, even those
>>> whose clients have support, without the additional security for 18 more
>>> months.
>
>> Imo making such changes after feature freeze is somewhat poor
>> form.
>
> Yeah.

Yeah, that's fair.

>> If jdbc didn't support scram, it'd be an absolutely clear no-go imo. A
>> pretty large fraction of users use jdbc to access postgres. But it seems
>> to me that support has been merged for a while:
>> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/1014
>
> "Merged to upstream" is a whole lot different from "readily available in
> the field".  What's the actual status in common Linux distros, for
> example?

Did some limited research just to get a sense.

Well, if it's RHEL7, it's PostgreSQL 9.2 so, unless they're using our
RPM, that definitely does not have it :)

(While researching this, I noticed on the main RHEL8 beta page[1] that
PostgreSQL is actually featured, which is kind of neat. I could not
quickly find which version of the JDBC driver it is shipping with, though)

On Ubuntu, 18.04 LTS ships PG10, but the version of JDBC does not
include SCRAM support. 18.10 ships JDBC w/SCRAM support.

On Debian, stretch is on 9.4. buster has 11 packaged, and JDBC is
shipping with SCRAM support.

Honestly what JDBC driver XYZ distro ships with is a red herring. Any reasonably complex java program is going to use maven and pull it's dependencies.

That said from a driver developer, I support pushing this decision off to PG13

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-08, Dave Cramer wrote:

> > IIUC the vast majority of clients already support SCRAM auth.  So the
> > vast majority of PG users can take advantage of the additional security.
> > I think the only massive-adoption exception is JDBC, and apparently they
> > already have working patches for SCRAM.
>
> We have more than patches this is already in the driver.
>
> What do you mean by "massive-adoption exception"

I meant an exception to the common situation that SCRAM-SHA-256 is
supported and shipped in stable releases of each driver.  The wiki here
still says it's unsupported on JDBC:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers
For once I'm happy to learn that the wiki is outdated :-)

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 16:07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2019-Apr-08, Dave Cramer wrote:

> > IIUC the vast majority of clients already support SCRAM auth.  So the
> > vast majority of PG users can take advantage of the additional security.
> > I think the only massive-adoption exception is JDBC, and apparently they
> > already have working patches for SCRAM.
>
> We have more than patches this is already in the driver.
>
> What do you mean by "massive-adoption exception"

I meant an exception to the common situation that SCRAM-SHA-256 is
supported and shipped in stable releases of each driver.  The wiki here
still says it's unsupported on JDBC:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers
For once I'm happy to learn that the wiki is outdated :-)

Way too many places to update :)

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-08, Dave Cramer wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 16:07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:

> > I meant an exception to the common situation that SCRAM-SHA-256 is
> > supported and shipped in stable releases of each driver.  The wiki here
> > still says it's unsupported on JDBC:
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers
> > For once I'm happy to learn that the wiki is outdated :-)
>
> Way too many places to update :)

Yeah.  Actually, it's up to date (it says "yes from 42.2")... I just
misread it.

I wonder why we have two pages
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Client_Libraries
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 4/8/19 4:10 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Apr-08, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 16:07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
>> wrote:
>
>>> I meant an exception to the common situation that SCRAM-SHA-256 is
>>> supported and shipped in stable releases of each driver.  The wiki here
>>> still says it's unsupported on JDBC:
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers
>>> For once I'm happy to learn that the wiki is outdated :-)
>>
>> Way too many places to update :)
>
> Yeah.  Actually, it's up to date (it says "yes from 42.2")... I just
> misread it.
>
> I wonder why we have two pages
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Client_Libraries
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers

No clue, but it appears that first one is the newer of the two[1][2]

I'd be happy to consolidate them and provide a forwarding reference from
Client Libraries to List of Drivers, given I think we reference "List of
Drivers" in other places.

Jonathan

[1]
https://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php?title=Client_Libraries&action=history
[2]
https://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php?title=List_of_drivers&action=history

Вложения

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

Дата:
Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 02:28:30PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The scenario that worries me here is somebody using a bleeding-edge PGDG
>> server package in an environment where the rest of the Postgres ecosystem
>> is much less bleeding-edge.

> If someone installs a postgres RPM/DEB from postgresql.org, they could also
> install postgresql-jdbc, right ?

The client software is very possibly not on the same machine as the server,
and may indeed not be under the server admin's control.  That sort of
complex interdependency is why we need to move slowly on changes that
require client updates.

            regards, tom lane

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-08, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> > I wonder why we have two pages
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Client_Libraries
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers
>
> No clue, but it appears that first one is the newer of the two[1][2]
>
> I'd be happy to consolidate them and provide a forwarding reference from
> Client Libraries to List of Drivers, given I think we reference "List of
> Drivers" in other places.

There are two links to List of drivers, and one of them is in Client
Libraries :-)
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Client_Libraries

+1 for consolidation and setting up a redirect.

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-08, Tom Lane wrote:

> I'm particularly concerned about the idea that they won't see a problem
> during initial testing, only to have things fall over after they enter
> production and do a "routine" password change.

This is a fair objection.

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Dave Cramer

> The scenario that worries me here is somebody using a bleeding-edge PGDG
> server package in an environment where the rest of the Postgres ecosystem
> is much less bleeding-edge.

If someone installs a postgres RPM/DEB from postgresql.org, they could also
install postgresql-jdbc, right ?

No, this is not how the majority of people use Java at all. They would use Maven to pull down the JDBC driver of choice.

I would guess there might be some distro specific java apps that might actually use what is on the machine but as mentioned any reasonably complex Java app is going to ensure it has the correct versions for their app using Maven.

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

Дата:
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
>> If someone installs a postgres RPM/DEB from postgresql.org, they could
>> also install postgresql-jdbc, right ?

> I would guess there might be some distro specific java apps that might
> actually use what is on the machine but as mentioned any reasonably complex
> Java app is going to ensure it has the correct versions for their app using
> Maven.

I'm not really sure if that makes things better or worse.  If some app
thinks that it needs version N of the driver, but SCRAM support was
added in version N-plus-something, how tough is it going to be to get
it updated?  And are you going to have to go through that dance for
each app separately?

            regards, tom lane

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 16:38, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
>> If someone installs a postgres RPM/DEB from postgresql.org, they could
>> also install postgresql-jdbc, right ?

> I would guess there might be some distro specific java apps that might
> actually use what is on the machine but as mentioned any reasonably complex
> Java app is going to ensure it has the correct versions for their app using
> Maven.

I'm not really sure if that makes things better or worse.  If some app
thinks that it needs version N of the driver, but SCRAM support was
added in version N-plus-something, how tough is it going to be to get
it updated?  And are you going to have to go through that dance for
each app separately?

I see the problem you are contemplating, but even installing a newer version of the driver has it's perils (we have been known to break some expectations in the name of the spec).
So I could see a situation where there is a legacy app that wants to use SCRAM. They update the JDBC jar on the system and due to the "new and improved" version their app breaks.
Honestly I don't have a solution to this.

That said 42.2.0 was released in January 2018, so by PG13 it's going to be 4 years old.

Dave

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

Дата:
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
> That said 42.2.0 was released in January 2018, so by PG13 it's going to be
> 4 years old.

Huh?  13 should come out in the fall of 2020.

            regards, tom lane

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 4/8/19 4:20 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Apr-08, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>> On 4/8/19 4:10 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>>> I wonder why we have two pages
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Client_Libraries
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers
>>
>> No clue, but it appears that first one is the newer of the two[1][2]
>>
>> I'd be happy to consolidate them and provide a forwarding reference from
>> Client Libraries to List of Drivers, given I think we reference "List of
>> Drivers" in other places.
>
> There are two links to List of drivers, and one of them is in Client
> Libraries :-)
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Client_Libraries
>
> +1 for consolidation and setting up a redirect.

OK, so trying to not be too off topic, I did update the original page as so:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers

When determining what to add, I tried to keep it one-abstraction level
deep, i.e., a driver is implemented on top of libpq, implemented the PG
protocol on its own, or did some driver-like extensions on top of the
base language driver. I steered clear of ORMs or other abstraction
layers unless they met the above criteria.

(There are a lot of handy ORM-ish abstraction layers as well, but I
don't want to go down that path on that page, at least not today).

I also added a deprecation warning on top of the "Client Libraries"
page. If we're feeling satisfied with the consolidation, I'll wipe the
content and indicate where the maintained content is and end the
split-brain situation.

(One thing that I will say is this is one of those sections that may be
worth moving to pgweb, to give it some semi-permanence. Separate
discussion.)

The good news: while going through the added drivers, most of the
non-libpq ones I've added do support SCRAM :)

That said, I am still in favor of the PG13 plan, and without objection I
would like to reach out to the driver authors in the "no" category,
reference this thread, and that this is at least discussed, if not
decided upon, and they should considering adding support for SCRAM to
allow adequate testing time as well as time for their drivers to make it
into appropriate packaging systems.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 12:59:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> > Should we change the default of the password_encryption setting to
>> > 'scram-sha-256' in PG12?
>>
>> I thought we were going to wait a bit longer --- that just got added
>> last year, no?  What do we know about the state of support in client
>> libraries?
>
> Great idea!  Does it make sense to test all, or at least some
> significant fraction of the connectors listed in
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Client_Libraries by default?

I am not sure all third party programs concerning scram-sha-256 are
listed on this. There are some programs that talk to PostgreSQL using
frontend/backend protocol, but not based on libpq or other native
drivers (for example Pgpool-II). I guess PgBouncer is in the same
category too.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Euler Taveira
Дата:
Em seg, 8 de abr de 2019 às 19:43, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> escreveu:

> I am not sure all third party programs concerning scram-sha-256 are
> listed on this. There are some programs that talk to PostgreSQL using
> frontend/backend protocol, but not based on libpq or other native
> drivers (for example Pgpool-II). I guess PgBouncer is in the same
> category too.

... and pgbouncer doesn't support scram-sha-256 authentication method.
There is a bit-rot PR but the discussion died a while ago. It is
widely used and it would be really sad to turn on SCRAM on v13 without
pgbouncer SCRAM support.

--
   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
>> I am not sure all third party programs concerning scram-sha-256 are
>> listed on this. There are some programs that talk to PostgreSQL using
>> frontend/backend protocol, but not based on libpq or other native
>> drivers (for example Pgpool-II). I guess PgBouncer is in the same
>> category too.
>>
> ... and pgbouncer doesn't support scram-sha-256 authentication method.
> There is a bit-rot PR but the discussion died a while ago. It is
> widely used and it would be really sad to turn on SCRAM on v13 without
> pgbouncer SCRAM support.

I don't how hard it would be for pgbouncer to support scram-sha-256,
but it was pretty hard for Pgpool-II to support scram-sha-256. In case
of Pgpool-II (it starts to support it since 4.0), it needed to keep
clients' password lists.

http://www.pgpool.net/docs/latest/en/html/auth-methods.html#AUTH-SCRAM

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

Дата:
On Mon, Apr  8, 2019 at 10:08:07AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> > On 4/8/19 8:49 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> I think the real question is, is it OK to give them basically 5months
> >> warning, by right now saying if you don't have a release out in 6
> >> months, things will break.
>
> > Given the supported libraries all have open pull requests or issues, it
> > should be fairly easy to inquire if they would be able to support it for
> > PG12 vs PG13. If this sounds like a reasonable plan, I'm happy to reach
> > out and see.
>
> I think that the right course here is to notify these developers that
> we will change the default in PG13, and it'd be good if they put out
> stable releases with SCRAM support well before that.  This discussion
> seems to be talking as though it's okay if we allow zero daylight
> between availability of fixed drivers and release of a PG version that
> defaults to using SCRAM.  That'd be totally unfair to packagers and
> users.  There needs to be a pretty fair-size window for those fixed
> drivers to propagate into the wild.  A year is not too much; IMO it's
> barely enough.

It would be nice to address channel binding as part of this.

Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 4/8/19 6:10 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

>>> No clue, but it appears that first one is the newer of the two[1][2]
>>>
>>> I'd be happy to consolidate them and provide a forwarding reference from
>>> Client Libraries to List of Drivers, given I think we reference "List of
>>> Drivers" in other places.
>>
>> There are two links to List of drivers, and one of them is in Client
>> Libraries :-)
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Client_Libraries
>>
>> +1 for consolidation and setting up a redirect.
>
> OK, so trying to not be too off topic, I did update the original page as so:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers
>
> That said, I am still in favor of the PG13 plan, and without objection I
> would like to reach out to the driver authors in the "no" category,
> reference this thread, and that this is at least discussed, if not
> decided upon, and they should considering adding support for SCRAM to
> allow adequate testing time as well as time for their drivers to make it
> into appropriate packaging systems.

OK so a small update, going through the list[1]:

- The golang drivers all now support SCRAM
- I've reached out to the remaining two driver projects on the list to
make them aware of this thread and the timeline discussion, and to offer
any help where needed in adding SCRAM support.