Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: change password_encryption default to scram-sha-256?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-04-08 13:52, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Yeah, if we're not going to do it now we should announce that we will
>> do it in the next release.
>
> Targeting PG13 seems reasonable.

Counter-argument: SCRAM has been available for 2 years since 10 feature
freeze, there has been a lot of time already given to implement support
for it. Given is at least 5 months until PG12 comes out, and each of the
popular drivers already has patches in place, we could default it for 12
and let them know this is a reality.

Given it's superior to the existing methods, it'd be better to encourage
the drivers to get this in place sooner. Given what I know about md5,
I've tried to avoid building apps with drivers that don't support SCRAM.

That said, that would be an aggressive approach, so I would not object
to changing the default for PG13 and giving 17 months vs. 5, but we do
let md5 persist that much longer.

Jonathan

Вложения