Обсуждение: [GENERAL] pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp() sometimes reports unlikely, very large delays

[GENERAL] pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp() sometimes reports unlikely, very large delays

От
Toby Corkindale
Дата:
Hi all,
I wondered if any experts can help me out?

I currently monitor Postgresql's replication status by looking at two metrics.
First I check to see if the current slave xlog replay is equal to the master
-- if so, it's up to date.
If it's not equal, then I look at pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp().

I can compare this with now() to get a duration, which I believe should
indicate how far behind the slave is tracking.

Most of the time this works quite well -- the slave might fall behind by some
seconds under heavy load, but that's fine.

However, occasionally this replay timestamp will report times many hours or
days behind! This goes on for a few minutes, then suddenly recovers.

My best guess for what is going on is:
 - There has been no activity for hours or days, and so the oldest replayed
transaction on the slave is genuinely quite old.
 - Something has happened on the master that causes its
pg_current_xlog_location() to be updated, but not in a way that is sent to the
slave until the end of a long-running transaction.

Could anyone suggest how to do this in a manner that avoids the problem?

It's annoying because when it happens, because for 5-10 minutes monitoring
alerts get fired off about catastrophic amounts of lag on the read-only slave!

Cheers
Toby

Re: [GENERAL] pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp() sometimes reports unlikely, very large delays

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
> On Mar 22, 2017, at 8:06 PM, Toby Corkindale <toby.corkindale@strategicdata.com.au> wrote:
>
> My best guess for what is going on is:
> - There has been no activity for hours or days, and so the oldest replayed
> transaction on the slave is genuinely quite old.
> - Something has happened on the master that causes its
> pg_current_xlog_location() to be updated, but not in a way that is sent to the
> slave until the end of a long-running transaction.
>

> Could anyone suggest how to do this in a manner that avoids the problem?

Are you using streaming replication or only WAL archiving? If you are not streaming the archive command does not send
thefile until it is full (16MB, if I recall correctly). To address this, you can change the archive_timeout setting to
ensurethe WAL file is sent at some interval even if it is not full.

I use 'archive_timeout = 300' to send it every 5 minutes. If the lag is greater than 15 minutes, the alarm bells start
goingoff.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: [GENERAL] pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp() sometimes reportsunlikely, very large delays

От
Toby Corkindale
Дата:
> > On Mar 22, 2017, at 8:06 PM, Toby Corkindale
> > <toby.corkindale@strategicdata.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > My best guess for what is going on is:
> > - There has been no activity for hours or days, and so the oldest replayed
> > transaction on the slave is genuinely quite old.
> > - Something has happened on the master that causes its
> > pg_current_xlog_location() to be updated, but not in a way that is sent to
> > the
> > slave until the end of a long-running transaction.
> >

> > Could anyone suggest how to do this in a manner that avoids the problem?
>
> Are you using streaming replication or only WAL archiving? If you are not
> streaming the archive command does not send the file until it is full (16MB,
> if I recall correctly). To address this, you can change the archive_timeout
> setting to ensure the WAL file is sent at some interval even if it is not
> full.

Apologies, I should have mentioned. We're using streaming replication.

browser interface to forums please?

От
Yuri Budilov
Дата:
Hello everyone
Can these forums be moved to internet ?
All these emails is so 1990s.
So hard to follow, so hard to search for historical answers.
We really need to be able to post via browser.

best regards to everyone

Re: browser interface to forums please?

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

Hello everyone
Can these forums be moved to internet ?

It is on internet

All these emails is so 1990s.

And it is working well - there is not spam and ballast

So hard to follow, so hard to search for historical answers.
We really need to be able to post via browser.

why?

there is a fulltexted archive

You can use http://stackoverflow.com/ too

Regards

Pavel

best regards to everyone

Re: browser interface to forums please?

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 3/24/2017 9:49 PM, Yuri Budilov wrote:
> Hello everyone
> Can these forums be moved to internet ?

go ahead and start a forum.   good luck.

Re: browser interface to forums please?

От
John R Pierce
Дата: