Re: browser interface to forums please?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: browser interface to forums please?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 04/05/2017 10:57 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 04/05/2017 10:45 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 04/05/2017 10:26 AM, Tim Clarke wrote:
>
>>> +1 Joshua, that's the best reason I've heard so far and it seems very
>>> powerful to me. The more readers we have and the easier they can
>>> communicate with us (doesn't matter if they are "wrong") then  the
>>> better all round for Postgres.
>>
>> This implies that ease of communication = quality of communication and I
>> am not buying it. Exhibit A, Twitter.
>
> Adrian,
>
> I am afraid that you misunderstand the problem. The idea that you would
> use Twitter as the example is a perfect illustration of this. Twitter is
> *not* a collaboration platform. It is a promotion platform and it does
> it very well.

More a commentary on ease of use trumping content.

> Stack Overflow (as an example) is a collaboration platform. Stack
> understands the problem and is very, very good at solving it. It is why
> they are successful.
>
> Another example of a very good platform (that I can't stand) is Slack.
> It has become so completely dominant in the growth space that even
> Google is changing Hangouts because people were leaving in droves.
>
> So the question is, what is the problem we are trying to solve?
>
> I posed that the problem is that we are hostile toward communities that
> don't communicate and collaborate in the way we feel is "correct".

Not being hostile to other communities, just pointing out the reality.
When push comes to shove and the other methods of collaboration fail,
said communities then refer the OP to this list or others in the
Postgres mailing list galaxy to get an answer. Seems to me folks would
save a lot of time and effort just joining the list instead of hopping
around looking for a quick answer. Reminds me of college where I saw
people spend more time looking for the 'cheats' instead of just studying
the material. The material is here, the people that know the material
are here, get over your bias and use the resource.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Is there a point to having both a normal gist index andan exclude index?
Сообщение: Re: Is there a point to having both a normal gist indexand an exclude index?