Re: browser interface to forums please?

От George Neuner
Тема Re: browser interface to forums please?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 16:37:00 +0000, Tim Clarke
<tim.clarke@manifest.co.uk> wrote:

>On 25/03/17 16:25, David G. Johnston wrote:
>>
>> One constraint is that the current email based flow cannot be
>> disrupted.  Adding on a fully integrated forum-like GUI does have some
>> demand.  I don't see it being met if the it needs to be custom
>> written.  Therefore, do you have any suggestions and examples of
>> communities using such a system?
>>
>> As it stands we have a kind of read-only forum in our archives.  It
>> would be nice if there were a form at the bottom of the page that
>> would let you post - or even "send email to me so I can respond".
>>
>> In short, there is always room for usability improvements.  You'll get
>> a better response if you focus on those since and explain why.
>>
>> David J.
>
>google groups would support both methods of access imho
>
>I'm not suggesting its a good thing - perfectly happy with just email
>myself and searching the list archives if need be.

Google Groups rather routinely screws up message attribution so you
don't know to whom a GG user was responding.  Also [IME, anyway] GG
users tend to forget to expand and quote the material to which they
are responding because in the web UI they can just look back and see
it.

Trying to follow a group through email, or by way of a list<>news
bridge, it is easy to lose the flow of a discussion when some of its
participants are on Google.

That said ...

I also dislike having my email full of list posts.  I prefer to follow
groups and lists through NNTP (net news) whenever possible.  Many
(all?) of the Postgresql lists are available via Gmane[*].  For
historical (hysterical?) reasons, I use Forte Agent as my reader on
Windows, but Thunderbird and SeaMonkey both work well for news and are
cross platform.

YMMV,
George

[*] Gmane is one of the list<>news bridges.  They currently are in the
midst of rehosting and changing maintainers.  The NNTP servers
(news.gmane.org) are working, but the web site (http://gmane.org/) is
offline.
No account is necessary to use Gmane itself, but membership in a list
is needed to post messages.  Join with the same email address used by
your NN reader to access Gmane.

Сообщение: Re: browser interface to forums please?
Сообщение: Re: browser interface to forums please?