Re: browser interface to forums please?

От Steve Litt
Тема Re: browser interface to forums please?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:31:59 -0700
Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

> On 04/05/2017 09:17 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>

> > This has been tried a number of times. I'ts been a couple of years
> > since I last saw one, but multiple people have set up forums,
> > either mirrored or not. They have all died because of either lack
> > of usage or because the person who did it disappeared.
>
> Mostly, because they did not work well and the folks on this end of
> the process had to do more work to get the information necessary to
> answer the question. I know I eventually stopped responding to the
> questions from those sources because it was difficult to follow the
> information flow. Namely you had to crawl back up to the forum to get
> information and then the email thread had mix of information that
> made it through on its own and some subset of information that
> dedicated people pulled in from the forum. That mix depended on
> dedication level and time available.

In addition, once you subscribe to a mailing list, all info comes to
you. No password necessary. Read, reply, lightning quick.

Contrast this with forums, where you have to remember to go out to each
and every forum you're interested in, put in the password, and then
operate within the work-flow of the forum.

I'm subscribed to mailing lists of 20 LUGs. Can you imagine the
inconvenience if I had to go out to each one and put in a password just
to see if there's anything new? With mailing lists, the information
comes to you, instead of making you go out to it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist