Обсуждение: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Folks,

We have a problem.

With all due respect to the valiant efforts of people over the years
who have tried to make an upgrade-in-place system work, I would like
to note that such a system faces what I believe are insurmountable
barriers to being done correctly.  I will then propose an alternative.

We have seen each one of the following on multiple occasions:

- It's extraordinarily unglamorous work.  This further restricts the already tiny pool of people who might work on it.
Ifsomebody has a sustainable way to increase the glamour, that might help, but...

- To do correctly, it requires broad and intimate knowledge of the storage system and the systems below it (what is and
isn'tactually invariant across filesystems and kernels, e.g.) at a level that even most core engine hackers do not
possess.

- It's always done under extreme time pressure, namely between feature freeze (more properly, all-other-code-freeze, if
it'sto be actually correct) and release.  We haven't even attempted the "properly" version for what I hope are pretty
obviousreasons.

- It's extraordinarily difficult to test even normal cases, let alone corner cases, especially in light of the time
pressure.

- Failure modes tend to be silent (or at least whispering) data corruption, not infrequently permanent.

That all sounds grim because it is.

HOWEVER

All is not lost.

We can relax the in-place requirement because of the economics of
computing.  The components of a node have been getting drastically
cheaper for decades while (amazingly, if you think about it)
increasing in quality. Rented ("cloud") nodes have gotten steadily
cheaper and better, too, although not over quite as long a haul.

In light of the above, it is perfectly reasonable to require, at least
temporarily, setting up duplicate storage, or another node.

I am aware that some cases exist where this is not possible, but I
don't think we should twist ourselves into pretzels to accommodate a
tiny minority of our users, which my experience in the field leads me
to believe is the case.

As a relatively (to our users) minor course correction, I would like
to propose the following:

- Keep the current pg_upgrade code, but put loud deprecation warnings all over it, most emphatically all over its
documentation.

- Develop a logical upgrade path as a part of the (Yay! Sexy!) logical replication that's already in large part built.

This path would, of course, run either locally or across a network,
and be testable in both cases.  There would be a downgrade path,
namely switching origin nodes.

What say?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 05/16/2016 05:52 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,

> This path would, of course, run either locally or across a network,
> and be testable in both cases.  There would be a downgrade path,
> namely switching origin nodes.
>
> What say?

What happens when the database is 5TB in size and you only have 500GB
available but that 500GB won't exhaust before the 18 month lease expiry?

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:

> As a relatively (to our users) minor course correction, I would like
> to propose the following:

> - Develop a logical upgrade path as a part of the (Yay! Sexy!) logical
>   replication that's already in large part built.
>
> This path would, of course, run either locally or across a network,
> and be testable in both cases.

This is one use case that pglogical intends to fulfill.  If you're able
to contribute to that project, I'm sure many would appreciate it.  Right
now the hottest question seems to be: is this something that should be
an extension, or should it be part of core with its own set of DDL etc?
The current patch is geared towards the former, so if the community at
large prefers to have it as the latter and would oppose the former, now
is the time to speak up so that the course can be corrected.

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 05/16/2016 06:22 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>
>> As a relatively (to our users) minor course correction, I would like
>> to propose the following:
>
>> - Develop a logical upgrade path as a part of the (Yay! Sexy!) logical
>>    replication that's already in large part built.
>>
>> This path would, of course, run either locally or across a network,
>> and be testable in both cases.
>
> This is one use case that pglogical intends to fulfill.  If you're able
> to contribute to that project, I'm sure many would appreciate it.  Right
> now the hottest question seems to be: is this something that should be
> an extension, or should it be part of core with its own set of DDL etc?
> The current patch is geared towards the former, so if the community at
> large prefers to have it as the latter and would oppose the former, now
> is the time to speak up so that the course can be corrected.

Alvaro,

Thank you for bringing this to light. Is there a contributor FAQ for
PgLogical so that people can help?

Sincerely,

jD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Alvaro,
>
> Thank you for bringing this to light. Is there a contributor FAQ for
> PgLogical so that people can help?

Hmm, I don't think there's any contributor FAQ.  It's supposed to be a
regular patch submission, after all -- it needs user interface review, a
review of the communication protocol, tests, code-level review, etc.

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 05/16/2016 06:32 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Alvaro,
>>
>> Thank you for bringing this to light. Is there a contributor FAQ for
>> PgLogical so that people can help?
>
> Hmm, I don't think there's any contributor FAQ.  It's supposed to be a
> regular patch submission, after all -- it needs user interface review, a
> review of the communication protocol, tests, code-level review, etc.

O.k. so we should discuss all PgLogical things here and not on Github? I
am just trying to figure out what the proper mode here is. I don't think
anybody wants us to double up efforts.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 06:20:34PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 05/16/2016 05:52 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> > Folks,
>
> > This path would, of course, run either locally or across a
> > network, and be testable in both cases.  There would be a
> > downgrade path, namely switching origin nodes.
> >
> > What say?
>
> What happens when the database is 5TB in size and you only have
> 500GB available but that 500GB won't exhaust before the 18 month
> lease expiry?

We cannot prepare for every eventuality.

The downside risk of a binary upgrade in the type of case you describe
is in no conceivable instance better than "rent or borrow another
server with more storage attached and replicate to it."

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> >>Alvaro,
> >>
> >>Thank you for bringing this to light. Is there a contributor FAQ for
> >>PgLogical so that people can help?
> >
> >Hmm, I don't think there's any contributor FAQ.  It's supposed to be a
> >regular patch submission, after all -- it needs user interface review, a
> >review of the communication protocol, tests, code-level review, etc.
>
> O.k. so we should discuss all PgLogical things here and not on Github? I am
> just trying to figure out what the proper mode here is. I don't think
> anybody wants us to double up efforts.

As far as I am concerned, by all means ignore Github and discuss issues
in pgsql-hackers.  Github is being used only because it provides a
convenient Git mirror, which is said to be easier to use than attaching
huge patches back and forth.  I think it may be more convenient also to
keep track of issues people have reported so that they can be marked as
fixed in commit messages, etc.

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>> As a relatively (to our users) minor course correction, I would like
>> to propose the following:
>
>> - Develop a logical upgrade path as a part of the (Yay! Sexy!) logical
>>   replication that's already in large part built.
>>
>> This path would, of course, run either locally or across a network,
>> and be testable in both cases.
>
> This is one use case that pglogical intends to fulfill.  If you're able
> to contribute to that project, I'm sure many would appreciate it.  Right
> now the hottest question seems to be: is this something that should be
> an extension, or should it be part of core with its own set of DDL etc?
> The current patch is geared towards the former, so if the community at
> large prefers to have it as the latter and would oppose the former, now
> is the time to speak up so that the course can be corrected.

There was an unconference session on this topic at PGCon and quite a
number of people there stated that they found DDL to be an ease-of-use
feature and wanted to have it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 8:52 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> In light of the above, it is perfectly reasonable to require, at least
> temporarily, setting up duplicate storage, or another node.
>
> I am aware that some cases exist where this is not possible, but I
> don't think we should twist ourselves into pretzels to accommodate a
> tiny minority of our users, which my experience in the field leads me
> to believe is the case.

So, on the one hand, I agree that logical replication is a great way
to facilitate major version upgrades.  On the other hand, I think it's
completely wrong to suppose that only a tiny minority of people can't
use it.  In some cases, hardware availability is definitely an issue.
But even when people have the hardware, being able to cleanly do a
cutover from one master to another is not necessarily something people
are set up to do.  Getting that to work well requires more brainpower
than many users are willing to give to their database.  A lot of
people want to just shut the database down, upgrade it, and start it
back up.

pg_upgrade does that, kinda.  I'd like to have something better, but
in the absence of that, I think it's quite wrong to think about
deprecating it, even if we had logical replication fully integrated
into core today.  Which we by no means do.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 7 July 2016 at 21:01, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>> As a relatively (to our users) minor course correction, I would like
>> to propose the following:
>
>> - Develop a logical upgrade path as a part of the (Yay! Sexy!) logical
>>   replication that's already in large part built.
>>
>> This path would, of course, run either locally or across a network,
>> and be testable in both cases.
>
> This is one use case that pglogical intends to fulfill.  If you're able
> to contribute to that project, I'm sure many would appreciate it.  Right
> now the hottest question seems to be: is this something that should be
> an extension, or should it be part of core with its own set of DDL etc?
> The current patch is geared towards the former, so if the community at
> large prefers to have it as the latter and would oppose the former, now
> is the time to speak up so that the course can be corrected.

There was an unconference session on this topic at PGCon and quite a
number of people there stated that they found DDL to be an ease-of-use
feature and wanted to have it.

Yes, I ran the unconference session. It was a shame you weren't able to stay for the whole discussion.

We all agreed that an in-core solution was desirable, if only for wider adoption.

About half the people wanted DDL and about half the people didn't. When we discussed why we wanted DDL there wasn't any answers apart from the thought that we want to be able to backup the replication configurations, which seemed to be possible with or without DDL. Any such backup would need to be easily removed from the objects themselves, to avoid external dependencies on making recovery work.

Chris Browne finally summed it up by saying we could wait on having DDL until some time later, once we've decided on things like how we configure it, how we secure it and what/how to store it in the catalog. "We could probably live without DDL in the first version."

Personally, I'm in the group of people that don't see the need for DDL. There are already many successful features that don't utilize DDL, such as backup, advisory locks and some features that use DDL that don't really need to such as LISTEN/NOTIFY, full text search etc.. Also note that both Oracle and SQLServer have moved away from DDL in favour of function APIs, most NoSQL databases and almost all languages prefer functional interfaces over parsed text languages, so I don't see a huge industry revival for DDL as means of specifying things.

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
pg_upgrade does that, kinda.  I'd like to have something better, but
in the absence of that, I think it's quite wrong to think about
deprecating it, even if we had logical replication fully integrated
into core today.  Which we by no means do.

I don't see any problem with extending pg_upgrade to use logical replication features under the covers.

It seems very smooth to be able to just say

   pg_upgrade --online

and then specify whatever other parameters that requires.

It would be much easier to separate out that as a use-case so we can be sure we get that in 10.0, even if nothing else lands.

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 07/07/2016 01:10 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 8:52 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>> In light of the above, it is perfectly reasonable to require, at least
>> temporarily, setting up duplicate storage, or another node.

> pg_upgrade does that, kinda.  I'd like to have something better, but
> in the absence of that, I think it's quite wrong to think about
> deprecating it, even if we had logical replication fully integrated
> into core today.  Which we by no means do.

I would much rather see more brain power put into pg_upgrade or in place
upgrades than logical replication (as a upgrade solution).

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
In light of the above, it is perfectly reasonable to require, at least
temporarily, setting up duplicate storage, or another node.

pg_upgrade does that, kinda.  I'd like to have something better, but
in the absence of that, I think it's quite wrong to think about
deprecating it, even if we had logical replication fully integrated
into core today.  Which we by no means do.

I would much rather see more brain power put into pg_upgrade or in place upgrades than logical replication (as a upgrade solution).

Why is that?

Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 07/07/2016 05:14 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:

>     I would much rather see more brain power put into pg_upgrade or in
>     place upgrades than logical replication (as a upgrade solution).
>

> Why is that?

First, let me state that I don't have a problem with logical replication
as an upgrade solution. I have used one form or another many times. I
have also used pg_upgrade and will use pg_upgrade every single time I
can over replication (even pg_logical which is reasonably simple) if I
can. *KISS* is the mantra.

I certainly think logical replication has an absolute place (especially
if upgrading from something like 9.2 -> 9.5). I just don't think it is
as useful (generally) as a solid pg_upgrade or in-place upgrade solution.

We have had logical replication as a solution for over a decade. First
there was slony then londiste and then others. They all suffered from
various issues and limitations.
* Horrible overhead* Long running transaction* Need for lots of extra space

It is true that something like pg_logical doesn't suffer from those
three things but it does suffer from others:
* No DDL - Agreed, not "required" but certainly a very nice feature.
* Lack of simplicity

Users, like simple. It is one of the key reasons there is a migration to
the cloud, simplicity. Everything from scaling, to pricing, to
provisioning etc...

If I take a step back and say to myself, "What would *really* rock in
terms of PostgreSQL upgrades?" The answer is pretty simple:

apt-get update; apt-get upgrade;
service postgresql upgrade;

Which would pass a flag to "insert technology here" that started
PostgreSQL in a mode that told it, "Hey, you are going to need to check
a few things and probably modify a few things before you enter "ready
for transactions"".

I am fully aware that what I am saying is not easy. There are a whole
ton of issues (what if we are replicating to a slave?).

Anyway, that's why. I am by far more a consultant than an engineer now
and I can only relay what I run into when I speak either at conferences
or clients.

Sincerely,

JD

--