Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal
Дата
Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
On 7/13/16 2:06 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
On 07/07/2016 01:01 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

There was an unconference session on this topic at PGCon and quite a
number of people there stated that they found DDL to be an ease-of-use
feature and wanted to have it.

Yeah, I haven't meet anyone yet that would like to have:

select replicate_these_relations('['public']);

vs:

ALTER SCHEMA public ENABLE REPLICATION;

(or something like that).

I generally agree, but I think the more important question is "Why?". Is it becouse DDL looks more like a sentence? Is it because arrays are a PITA? Is it too hard to call functions?

Once you get fine grained enough to support replicating different sets
of possibly overlapping objects/namespaces to different groups of
recipients, the DDL approach becomes just as convoluted as calling
functions and nobody will memorize the entire syntax.

Jan

855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461