Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/17/2016 11:55 AM, Jan Wieck wrote:

>         Yeah, I haven't meet anyone yet that would like to have:
>
>         select replicate_these_relations('['public']);
>
>         vs:
>
>         ALTER SCHEMA public ENABLE REPLICATION;
>
>         (or something like that).
>

>     I generally agree, but I think the more important question is
>     "Why?". Is it becouse DDL looks more like a sentence? Is it because
>     arrays are a PITA? Is it too hard to call functions?

IMO, because it isn't code. I think that people forget that many, many
DBAs are not developers, they are business analysts that happen to also
be DBAs. Similarly, there is a reason why MongoDB/NoSQL will never be as
popular as good old fashion SQL.

> Once you get fine grained enough to support replicating different sets
> of possibly overlapping objects/namespaces to different groups of
> recipients, the DDL approach becomes just as convoluted as calling
> functions and nobody will memorize the entire syntax.

Ehh, partially true. For example, I don't know every single nuance of
ALTER TABLE but that is what the \h is for. Replication would be no
different.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564