Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal
Дата
Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal  (Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I note also that replication slots aren't backed up by pg_dump; I see
> analogy here and think that at least some parts of logical replication will
> be similar and not require DDL at all, just as slots do not.

I agree with that.  Of course, it's *impossible* to usefully back up a
slot because the key ingredient in a slot is the LSN after which WAL
should be preserved - and it's meaningless to preserve that across a
dump and restore cycle.  But, for example, replication set definitions
can be preserved across a dump and restore and I am quite sure users
will find it very unfortunate if they aren't.

> We have much to discuss in terms of security, the way it should work and
> what options to support and a sidetrack into syntax isn't warranted at this
> early stage. Please lets discuss those important things first, then return
> to whether DDL makes sense or not; it may do, or may not, or more likely
> which parts of it need DDL and which do not.

We've sort of hijacked this whole thread which was originally about
something different, so maybe it would be better to start a new thread
specifically to talk about the design of logical replication.  For my
money, though, I don't find the designs I've seen so far to be
particularly compelling - and I think that the problem is that we tend
to think about this from the point of view of the capabilities that
must be available within a single instance.  Physical replication has
the same issue.  Users don't want to configure archive_command and
wal_keep_segments and max_wal_senders and wal_level and set up an
archive and create recovery.conf on the standby.  They want to spin up
a new standby - and we don't provide any way to just do that.
pg_basebackup's -X stream and -R options represent significant
progress in that direction, but I don't think we've really taken it as
far as it can go yet, which is not to say I know exactly what's
missing.  Similarly, when the master fails, users want to promote a
standby (either one they choose or the one that is determined to be
furthest ahead) and remaster the others and that's not something you
can "just do".

Similarly, for logical replication, users will want to do things like
(1) spin up a new logical replication slave out of thin air,
replicating an entire database or several databases or selected
replication sets within selected databases; or (2) subscribe an
existing database to another server, replicating an entire database or
several databases; or (3) repoint an existing subscription at a new
server after a master change or dump/reload, resynchronizing table
contents if necessary; or (4) stop replication, either with or without
dropping the local copies of the replicated tables.  (This is not an
exhaustive list, I'm sure.)

I don't mean to imply that the existing designs are bad as far as they
go.  In each case, the functionality that has been built is good.  But
it's all focused, as it seems to me, on providing capabilities rather
than on providing a way for users to manage a group of database
servers using high-level primitives.  That higher-level stuff largely
gets left to add-on tools, which I don't think is serving us
particularly well.  Those add-on tools often find that the core
support doesn't quite do everything they'd like it to do: that's why
WAL-E and repmgr, for example, end up having to do some creative
things to deliver certain features.  We need to start thinking of
groups of servers rather than individual servers as the unit of
deployment.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company