Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 08/07/16 12:47, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 8 July 2016 at 09:41, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com
> <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If you want to add a column to a table, you
>     say ALTER TABLE .. ADD COLUMN.  If you want to add a column to an
>     extension, you say ALTER EXTENSION .. ADD TABLE.   If you want to add
>     an option to a foreign table, you say ALTER FOREIGN TABLE .. OPTIONS
>     (ADD ..).  Therefore, I think it is entirely reasonable and obviously
>     consistent with existing practice that if you want to add a table to a
>     replication set, you should write ALTER REPLICATION SET .. ADD TABLE.
>     I don't understand why logical replication should be the one feature
>     that departs from the way that all of our other features work.
>

> Because unlike all the other features, it can work usefully *across
> versions*.

I don't see how that matters for definitions in catalogs though. It's
not like we want to do any kind of RPC to add table to replication set
on the remote node.

--   Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: [BUGS] BUG #14230: Wrong timeline returned by pg_stop_backup on a standby