Обсуждение: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
I'm reading the new jsonb code, trying to understand the on-disk
representation. And I cannot make heads or tails of it.

My first entry point was jsonb.h. Jsonb struct is the on-disk
representation, so I looked at the comments above that. No help, the
comments are useless for getting an overview picture.

Help, anyone?

- Heikki

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On May 6, 2014 9:30:15 PM CEST, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
>I'm reading the new jsonb code, trying to understand the on-disk
>representation. And I cannot make heads or tails of it.
>
>My first entry point was jsonb.h. Jsonb struct is the on-disk
>representation, so I looked at the comments above that. No help, the
>comments are useless for getting an overview picture.
>
>Help, anyone?

Enthusiatically seconded. I've asked for that about three times without much success. If it had been my decision the
patchwouldn't have been merged without that and other adjustments.

Andres

---
Please excuse brevity and formatting - I am writing this on my mobile phone.

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

Дата:
On Tue, May  6, 2014 at 09:48:04PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On May 6, 2014 9:30:15 PM CEST, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> >I'm reading the new jsonb code, trying to understand the on-disk
> >representation. And I cannot make heads or tails of it.
> >
> >My first entry point was jsonb.h. Jsonb struct is the on-disk
> >representation, so I looked at the comments above that. No help, the
> >comments are useless for getting an overview picture.
> >
> >Help, anyone?
>
> Enthusiatically seconded. I've asked for that about three times without much success. If it had been my decision the
patchwouldn't have been merged without that and other adjustments.

I also would like to know what the index-everything hash ops does?  Does
it index the keys, values, or both?

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I also would like to know what the index-everything hash ops does?  Does
> it index the keys, values, or both?

It indexes both, but it isn't possible to test existence (of a key)
with the hash GIN opclass.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Enthusiatically seconded. I've asked for that about three times without much success. If it had been my decision the
patchwouldn't have been merged without that and other adjustments.

I'm almost certain that the only feedback of yours that I didn't
incorporate was that I didn't change the name of JsonbValue, a
decision I stand by, and also that I didn't add ascii art to
illustrate the on-disk format. I can write a patch that adds the
latter soon.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
FYI,
http://obartunov.livejournal.com/178495.html

This is hash based gin opclass for hstore with all operators support.
It's pity we had no time to do the same for jsonb, but we may include
it and couple of other opclasses to contrib/jsonx.

Oleg

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:18 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> I also would like to know what the index-everything hash ops does?  Does
>> it index the keys, values, or both?
>
> It indexes both, but it isn't possible to test existence (of a key)
> with the hash GIN opclass.
>
> --
> Peter Geoghegan

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-05-06 13:30:26 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > Enthusiatically seconded. I've asked for that about three times without much success. If it had been my decision
thepatch wouldn't have been merged without that and other adjustments.

> I'm almost certain that the only feedback of yours that I didn't
> incorporate was that I didn't change the name of JsonbValue, a
> decision I stand by, and also that I didn't add ascii art to
> illustrate the on-disk format. I can write a patch that adds the
> latter soon.

That might or might not be true. I don't really remember. Documentation
about the on-disk format is the one thing I am sure about that's not
done.

The reviews I did were really cursory reviews, nothing thorough. There's
large parts of the code (e.g. jsonb_gin.c) I didn't even look at. And
others I don't really understand. I also didn't have time to look at the
later versions. The code did improve, don't get me wrong. Otherwise I'd
have been very vocal about this when committed.
But it's still pretty hard to read/understand code. Which imo is
problematic for a feature touted being absolutely critical for postgres'
success. If other's want a taste, take a peek at
findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader()'s code.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> That might or might not be true. I don't really remember. Documentation
> about the on-disk format is the one thing I am sure about that's not
> done.

I think it would be best to do that with reference to a concrete
example. As I said, I'll work on a patch.

> The reviews I did were really cursory reviews, nothing thorough. There's
> large parts of the code (e.g. jsonb_gin.c) I didn't even look at. And
> others I don't really understand. I also didn't have time to look at the
> later versions. The code did improve, don't get me wrong. Otherwise I'd
> have been very vocal about this when committed.
> But it's still pretty hard to read/understand code. Which imo is
> problematic for a feature touted being absolutely critical for postgres'
> success. If other's want a taste, take a peek at
> findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader()'s code.

I don't really know what to say to that. Lots of code in Postgres is
complicated, especially if you look at one particular function without
some wider context. Is your objection that the complexity is
incidental rather than essential? If so, how?

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-05-06 15:45:39 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> I don't really know what to say to that. Lots of code in Postgres is
> complicated, especially if you look at one particular function without
> some wider context.
> Is your objection that the complexity is incidental rather than
> essential?

Yes.

> If so, how?

If you think the following is a solution of essential complexity in
*new* code for navigating one level down a relatively simple *new*
datastructure - then we have a disconnect that's larger than I am
willing to argue about.
I can live with the argument that this code is what we have; but calling
this only having the "essential complexity" is absurd.

JsonbValue *
findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader(JsonbSuperHeader sheader, uint32 flags,                          uint32 *lowbound,
JsonbValue*key)

{   uint32      superheader = *(uint32 *) sheader;   JEntry     *array = (JEntry *) (sheader + sizeof(uint32));   int
     count = (superheader & JB_CMASK);   JsonbValue *result = palloc(sizeof(JsonbValue));

   Assert((flags & ~(JB_FARRAY | JB_FOBJECT)) == 0);
   if (flags & JB_FARRAY & superheader)   {       char       *data = (char *) (array + (superheader & JB_CMASK));
int        i;

       for (i = 0; i < count; i++)       {           JEntry     *e = array + i;
           if (JBE_ISNULL(*e) && key->type == jbvNull)           {               result->type = jbvNull;
result->estSize= sizeof(JEntry);           }           else if (JBE_ISSTRING(*e) && key->type == jbvString)           {
             result->type = jbvString;               result->val.string.val = data + JBE_OFF(*e);
result->val.string.len= JBE_LEN(*e);               result->estSize = sizeof(JEntry) + result->val.string.len;
}          else if (JBE_ISNUMERIC(*e) && key->type == jbvNumeric)           {               result->type = jbvNumeric;
            result->val.numeric = (Numeric) (data + INTALIGN(JBE_OFF(*e)));

               result->estSize = 2 * sizeof(JEntry) +                   VARSIZE_ANY(result->val.numeric);           }
       else if (JBE_ISBOOL(*e) && key->type == jbvBool)           {               result->type = jbvBool;
result->val.boolean= JBE_ISBOOL_TRUE(*e) != 0;               result->estSize = sizeof(JEntry);           }
else              continue;

           if (compareJsonbScalarValue(key, result) == 0)               return result;       }   }else if (flags &
JB_FOBJECT& superheader){    /* Since this is an object, account for *Pairs* of Jentrys */    char       *data = (char
*)(array + (superheader & JB_CMASK) * 2);    uint32        stopLow = lowbound ? *lowbound : 0,
stopMiddle;
    /* Object key past by caller must be a string */    Assert(key->type == jbvString);...

I am not calling for a revert. I am just saying that it's imo below
project standards.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> If you think the following is a solution of essential complexity in
> *new* code for navigating one level down a relatively simple *new*
> datastructure - then we have a disconnect that's larger than I am
> willing to argue about

You omitted the 40 lines of comments above the function.

> I can live with the argument that this code is what we have; but calling
> this only having the "essential complexity" is absurd.

I did not say that it only had essential complexity; just that your
criticism was vague. What's wrong with this particular code,
precisely? What complexity is incidental? Why?

I think what you're missing here is that
findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader() is useful for testing "existence" -
that's mostly what it does (serve as a worker function for the 3
existence-type operators). It's also used once to do a binary search
for a key when testing containment, ahead of testing a corresponding
value in a pair (a pair within a rhs that we're testing for
containment within an lhs "this" value).  Finally, it's also used once
with arrays when testing containment.

Why do I just match the key within findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader() for
objects, and not the key/value pair you ask? Because that's not what
existence is, and it's easier and clearer to have containment of
nested objects and arrays handling by the higher level containment
function (once we find the value from the pair, to pass back to it).
There is a number of things in tension here. A further factor is the
desire to avoid redundant code. Now, I guess you could make the case
that the handling of the JB_ARRAY and JB_OBJECT cases could be broken
out, but that isn't obviously true, since that creates redundancy for
the majority of callers that only care about existence.

If you're suggesting that the JB_ARRAY and JB_OBJECT cases within that
function are redundant, well, they're not; I'm iterating element-wise
for the former and pairwise for the latter. I'm also returning the
value for the former, and the element (which in a certain sense is
equivalent -- the equivalent of an object/pair "value") for the
latter. Note the user-visible definition of existence if you don't
know what I mean.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 05/06/2014 11:30 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> Enthusiatically seconded. I've asked for that about three times without much success. If it had been my decision the
patchwouldn't have been merged without that and other adjustments.

> I'm almost certain that the only feedback of yours that I didn't
> incorporate was that I didn't change the name of JsonbValue, a
> decision I stand by, and also that I didn't add ascii art to
> illustrate the on-disk format. I can write a patch that adds the
> latter soon.

That would be great.

I found the serialization routine, convertJsonb() to be a bit of a mess.
It's maintaining a custom stack of levels, which can be handy if you
need to avoid recursion, but it's also relying on the native stack. And
I didn't understand the point of splitting it into the "walk" and "put"
functions; the division of labor between the two was far from clear
IMHO. I started refactoring that, and ended up with the attached.

One detail that I found scary is that the estSize field in JsonbValue is
not just any rough estimate. It's used ín the allocation of the output
buffer for convertJsonb(), so it has to be large enough or you hit an
assertion or buffer overflow. I believe it was correct as it was, but
that kind of programming is always scary. I refactored the
convertJsonb() function to use a StringInfo buffer instead, and removed
estSize altogether.

This is still work-in-progress, but I thought I'd post this now to let
people know I'm working on it. For example, the StringInfo isn't
actually very well suited for this purpose, it might be better to have a
custom buffer that's enlarged when needed.

For my own sanity, I started writing some docs on the on-disk format.
See the comments in jsonb.h for my understanding of it. I moved around
the structs a bit in jsonb.h, to make the format clearer, but the actual
on-disk format is unchanged.

- Heikki

Вложения

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Continuing the review, I don't like the "superheader" terminology. To
me, "super" implies that there's some other kind of header involved, and
the superheader somehow includes or the parent of that. But it actually
seems to refer to the header field in the beginning of an array or
object value. In essence, "superheader" is used as the common term to
refer to an object that can be an array or an object. I propose that we
change that to "container".

Noticed something funny while looking at the convertJsonb function:

postgres=# select substr(((('["' ||repeat('x', 268435455) || '", "' ||
repeat('y', 2) || '"]')::jsonb)::text), 268435455);
                                                                  substr

  xxx",
0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000]
(1 row)

Somehow the second string element in the array, "yy", gets turned into a
numeric. The reason is that although we check that the length of a
single string doesn't exceed the maximum of 2^28 that can be stored in
the space reserved for the length in a Jentry, there are no length
checks for the end offset stored there in an array. So if the total size
of elements in an array exceed 2^28, funny things like above happen.

Attached is a WIP patch that fixes the above, renames "superheader" to
"container", and includes the refactorings and cleanup that I posted
earlier today.

- Heikki

Вложения

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
So, apart from cleaning up the code, we really need to take a close look
at the on-disk format now. The code can be cleaned up later, too, but
we're going to be stuck with the on-disk format forever, so it's
critical to get that right.

First, a few observations:

* JENTRY_ISFIRST is redundant. Whenever you deal with the Jentry struct,
you know from the context which element in the array it is.

* JENTRY_ISNEST is set but never used.

* JENTRY_ISBOOL is defined as (JENTRY_ISNUMERIC | JENTRY_ISNEST), which
seems confusing.

I'm going to proceed refactoring those things, which will change the
on-disk format. It's late in the release cycle - these things really
should've been cleaned up earlier - but it's important to get the
on-disk format right. Shout if you have any objections.

- Heikki

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> So, apart from cleaning up the code, we really need to take a close look at
> the on-disk format now. The code can be cleaned up later, too, but we're
> going to be stuck with the on-disk format forever, so it's critical to get
> that right.
>
> First, a few observations:
>
> * JENTRY_ISFIRST is redundant. Whenever you deal with the Jentry struct, you
> know from the context which element in the array it is.
>
> * JENTRY_ISNEST is set but never used.
>
> * JENTRY_ISBOOL is defined as (JENTRY_ISNUMERIC | JENTRY_ISNEST), which
> seems confusing.
>
> I'm going to proceed refactoring those things, which will change the on-disk
> format. It's late in the release cycle - these things really should've been
> cleaned up earlier - but it's important to get the on-disk format right.
> Shout if you have any objections.
+1. It is saner to do that now than never.
--
Michael

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2014-05-07 14:20:19 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> So, apart from cleaning up the code, we really need to take a close look at
> the on-disk format now. The code can be cleaned up later, too, but we're
> going to be stuck with the on-disk format forever, so it's critical to get
> that right.

+1

> First, a few observations:

Agreed.

I'd like to add that:
* Imo we need space in jsonb ondisk values to indicate a format version. We won't fully get this right.
* The jentry representation should be changed so it's possible to get the type of a entry without checking individual
types.That'll make code like findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader() (well, whatever you've renamed it to) much easier to read.
Preferrablyso it an have the same values (after shifting/masking) ask the JBE variants. And it needs space for futher
types(or representations thereof).

* I wonder if the hash/object pair representation is wise and if it shouldn't be keys combined with offsets first, and
thenthe values. That will make access much faster. And that's what jsonb essentially is about.

* I think both arrays and hashes should grow individual structs. With space for additional flags.

* I have doubts of the wisdom of allowing to embed jbvBinary values in JsonbValues. Although that can be changed later
sinceit's not on disk.

> I'm going to proceed refactoring those things, which will change the on-disk
> format. It's late in the release cycle - these things really should've been
> cleaned up earlier - but it's important to get the on-disk format right.
> Shout if you have any objections.

I don't think it's likely that beta1 will be binary compatible with the
final version at this point.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> I'm going to proceed refactoring those things, which will change the on-disk
>> format. It's late in the release cycle - these things really should've been
>> cleaned up earlier - but it's important to get the on-disk format right.
>> Shout if you have any objections.

+1.

> I don't think it's likely that beta1 will be binary compatible with the
> final version at this point.

I rather think we're not ready for beta1 at this point (but I expect
to lose that argument).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Magnus Hagander

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
So, apart from cleaning up the code, we really need to take a close look at the on-disk format now. The code can be cleaned up later, too, but we're going to be stuck with the on-disk format forever, so it's critical to get that right.

First, a few observations:

* JENTRY_ISFIRST is redundant. Whenever you deal with the Jentry struct, you know from the context which element in the array it is.

* JENTRY_ISNEST is set but never used.

* JENTRY_ISBOOL is defined as (JENTRY_ISNUMERIC | JENTRY_ISNEST), which seems confusing.

I'm going to proceed refactoring those things, which will change the on-disk format. It's late in the release cycle - these things really should've been cleaned up earlier - but it's important to get the on-disk format right. Shout if you have any objections.

+1. It's now or never. If the on-disk format needs changing, not doing it now is going to leave us with a "jsonc" in the future... Better bite the bullet now.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-05-07 08:50:33 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > I don't think it's likely that beta1 will be binary compatible with the
> > final version at this point.
>
> I rather think we're not ready for beta1 at this point (but I expect
> to lose that argument).

Well, I guess it depends on what we define 'beta1' to be. Imo evaluating
problematic pieces of new code, locating unfinished pieces is part of
that. I don't see much point in forbidding incompatible changes in beta1
personally. That robs th the development cycle of the only period where
users can actually test the new version in a halfway sane manner and
report back with things that apparently broken.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

On 2014-05-07 08:50:33 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > I don't think it's likely that beta1 will be binary compatible with the
> > final version at this point.
>
> I rather think we're not ready for beta1 at this point (but I expect
> to lose that argument).

Well, I guess it depends on what we define 'beta1' to be. Imo evaluating
problematic pieces of new code, locating unfinished pieces is part of
that. I don't see much point in forbidding incompatible changes in beta1
personally. That robs th the development cycle of the only period where
users can actually test the new version in a halfway sane manner and
report back with things that apparently broken.

We need to be very careful to tell people about it though. Preferrably if we *know* a dump/reload will be needed to go beta1->beta2, we should actually document that in the releasenotes of beta1 already. So people can make proper plans..

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-05-07 15:00:01 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:
>
> > On 2014-05-07 08:50:33 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > >
> > > I rather think we're not ready for beta1 at this point (but I expect
> > > to lose that argument).
> >
> > Well, I guess it depends on what we define 'beta1' to be. Imo evaluating
> > problematic pieces of new code, locating unfinished pieces is part of
> > that. I don't see much point in forbidding incompatible changes in beta1
> > personally. That robs th the development cycle of the only period where
> > users can actually test the new version in a halfway sane manner and
> > report back with things that apparently broken.
> >

> We need to be very careful to tell people about it though. Preferrably if
> we *know* a dump/reload will be needed to go beta1->beta2, we should
> actually document that in the releasenotes of beta1 already. So people can
> make proper plans..

Yes, I think it actually makes sense to add that to *all* beta release
notes. Even in beta2, although slightly weakened.
That's not a new thing btw. E.g. 9.3 has had a catversion bump between
beta1/2:
git diff 09bd2acbe5ac866ce9..817a89423f429a6a8b -- src/include/catalog/catversion.h

The more interesting note probably is that there quite possibly won't be
pg_upgrade'ability...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

On 2014-05-07 15:00:01 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:
>
> > On 2014-05-07 08:50:33 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > >
> > > I rather think we're not ready for beta1 at this point (but I expect
> > > to lose that argument).
> >
> > Well, I guess it depends on what we define 'beta1' to be. Imo evaluating
> > problematic pieces of new code, locating unfinished pieces is part of
> > that. I don't see much point in forbidding incompatible changes in beta1
> > personally. That robs th the development cycle of the only period where
> > users can actually test the new version in a halfway sane manner and
> > report back with things that apparently broken.
> >

> We need to be very careful to tell people about it though. Preferrably if
> we *know* a dump/reload will be needed to go beta1->beta2, we should
> actually document that in the releasenotes of beta1 already. So people can
> make proper plans..

Yes, I think it actually makes sense to add that to *all* beta release
notes. Even in beta2, although slightly weakened.
That's not a new thing btw. E.g. 9.3 has had a catversion bump between
beta1/2:
git diff 09bd2acbe5ac866ce9..817a89423f429a6a8b -- src/include/catalog/catversion.h

The more interesting note probably is that there quite possibly won't be
pg_upgrade'ability...

Yeah, that's the big thing really.

Requiring pg_upgrade between betas might even be "good" in the sense that then we get more testing of pg_upgrade :) But requiring a dump/reload is going to hurt people more.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

Дата:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:
>> Well, I guess it depends on what we define 'beta1' to be. Imo evaluating
>> problematic pieces of new code, locating unfinished pieces is part of
>> that. I don't see much point in forbidding incompatible changes in beta1
>> personally. That robs th the development cycle of the only period where
>> users can actually test the new version in a halfway sane manner and
>> report back with things that apparently broken.

> We need to be very careful to tell people about it though. Preferrably if
> we *know* a dump/reload will be needed to go beta1->beta2, we should
> actually document that in the releasenotes of beta1 already. So people can
> make proper plans..

This seems like much ado about very little.  The policy will be the same
as it ever was: once beta1 is out, we prefer to avoid forcing an initdb,
but we'll do it if we have to.

In any case, +1 for fixing whatever needs to be fixed now; I expect to
have a fix for the limited-GIN-index-length issue later today, and that
really is also an on-disk format change, though it won't affect short
index entries.  ("Short" is TBD; I was thinking of hashing keys longer
than say 128 bytes.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-05-07 09:44:36 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:
> >> Well, I guess it depends on what we define 'beta1' to be. Imo evaluating
> >> problematic pieces of new code, locating unfinished pieces is part of
> >> that. I don't see much point in forbidding incompatible changes in beta1
> >> personally. That robs th the development cycle of the only period where
> >> users can actually test the new version in a halfway sane manner and
> >> report back with things that apparently broken.
>
> > We need to be very careful to tell people about it though. Preferrably if
> > we *know* a dump/reload will be needed to go beta1->beta2, we should
> > actually document that in the releasenotes of beta1 already. So people can
> > make proper plans..
>
> This seems like much ado about very little.  The policy will be the same
> as it ever was: once beta1 is out, we prefer to avoid forcing an initdb,
> but we'll do it if we have to.

I think Magnus' point is that we should tell users that we'll try but
won't guarantee anything. -hackers knowing about it doesn't mean users
will know.

Andres Freund

Services

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> * Imo we need space in jsonb ondisk values to indicate a format
>   version. We won't fully get this right.

That would be nice.

> * The jentry representation should be changed so it's possible to get the type
>   of a entry without checking individual types. That'll make code like
>   findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader() (well, whatever you've renamed it to)
>   much easier to read. Preferrably so it an have the same values (after
>   shifting/masking) ask the JBE variants. And it needs space for futher
>   types (or representations thereof).

I don't know what you mean. Every place that macros like
JBE_ISNUMERIC() are used subsequently involves access to (say) numeric
union fields. At best, you could have those functions check that the
types match, and then handle each case in a switch that only looked at
(say) the "candidate", but that doesn't really save much at all. It
wouldn't take much to have the macros give enum constant values back
as you suggest, though.

> * I wonder if the hash/object pair representation is wise and if it
>   shouldn't be keys combined with offsets first, and then the
>   values. That will make access much faster. And that's what jsonb
>   essentially is about.

I like that the physical layout reflects the layout of the original
JSON document. Besides, I don't think this is obviously the case. Are
you sure that it won't be more useful to make children as close to
their parents as possible? Particularly given idiomatic usage. Jsonb,
in point of fact, *is* fast.

> * I think both arrays and hashes should grow individual structs. With
>   space for additional flags.

Why?

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-05-07 10:55:28 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > * The jentry representation should be changed so it's possible to get the type
> >   of a entry without checking individual types. That'll make code like
> >   findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader() (well, whatever you've renamed it to)
> >   much easier to read. Preferrably so it an have the same values (after
> >   shifting/masking) ask the JBE variants. And it needs space for futher
> >   types (or representations thereof).
>
> I don't know what you mean. Every place that macros like
> JBE_ISNUMERIC() are used subsequently involves access to (say) numeric
> union fields. At best, you could have those functions check that the
> types match, and then handle each case in a switch that only looked at
> (say) the "candidate", but that doesn't really save much at all. It
> wouldn't take much to have the macros give enum constant values back
> as you suggest, though.

Compare    for (i = 0; i < count; i++)    {        JEntry       *e = array + i;
[...]

with
    for (i = 0; i < count; i++)    {        JEntry       *e = array + i;
                       if (!JBE_TYPE_IS_SCALAR(*e))                           continue;
                       if (JBE_TYPE(*e) != key->type)                           continue;
                       result = getJsonbValue(e);
        if (compareJsonbScalarValue(key, result) == 0)            return result;    }

Yes, it's not a fair comparison because I made up getJsonbValue(). But
it's *much* more readable regardless. And there's more places that could
use it. Like the second half of findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader(). FWIW,
that's one of the requests I definitely made before.

> > * I wonder if the hash/object pair representation is wise and if it
> >   shouldn't be keys combined with offsets first, and then the
> >   values. That will make access much faster. And that's what jsonb
> >   essentially is about.
>
> I like that the physical layout reflects the layout of the original
> JSON document.

Don't see much value in that. This is a binary representation and it'd
be bijective.

> Besides, I don't think this is obviously the case. Are
> you sure that it won't be more useful to make children as close to
> their parents as possible? Particularly given idiomatic usage.

Because - if done right - it would allow elementwise access without
scanning previous values.

> > * I think both arrays and hashes should grow individual structs. With
> >   space for additional flags.

> Why?

Because a) it will make the code more readable b) it'll allow for
adding different representations of hashes/arrays.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

--Andres Freund                       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

Дата:
> * The jentry representation should be changed so it's possible to get the type
>   of a entry without checking individual types. That'll make code like
>   findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader() (well, whatever you've renamed it to)
>   much easier to read. Preferrably so it an have the same values (after
>   shifting/masking) ask the JBE variants. And it needs space for futher
>   types (or representations thereof).

Further types?  What further types?  JSON seems unlikely to grow any
other value types than what it's got.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-05-07 14:48:51 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > * The jentry representation should be changed so it's possible to get the type
> >   of a entry without checking individual types. That'll make code like
> >   findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader() (well, whatever you've renamed it to)
> >   much easier to read. Preferrably so it an have the same values (after
> >   shifting/masking) ask the JBE variants. And it needs space for futher
> >   types (or representations thereof).
>
> Further types?  What further types?  JSON seems unlikely to grow any
> other value types than what it's got.

I am not thinking about user level exposed types, but e.g. a hash/object
representation that allows duplicated keys and keeps the original
order. Because I am pretty sure that'll come.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 05/07/2014 02:52 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-05-07 14:48:51 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> writes:
>>> * The jentry representation should be changed so it's possible to get the type
>>>    of a entry without checking individual types. That'll make code like
>>>    findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader() (well, whatever you've renamed it to)
>>>    much easier to read. Preferrably so it an have the same values (after
>>>    shifting/masking) ask the JBE variants. And it needs space for futher
>>>    types (or representations thereof).
>> Further types?  What further types?  JSON seems unlikely to grow any
>> other value types than what it's got.
> I am not thinking about user level exposed types, but e.g. a hash/object
> representation that allows duplicated keys and keeps the original
> order. Because I am pretty sure that'll come.

That makes one of you. We've had hstore for years and nobody that I
recall has asked for preservation of key order or duplicates. And any
app that relies on either in JSON is still, IMNSHO, broken by design.

OTOH, there are suggestions of "superjson" types that support other
scalar types such as timestamps.

cheers

andrew

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

Дата:
btw ... in jsonb.h there is this comment:
* Jsonb Keys and string array elements are treated equivalently when* serialized to text index storage.  One day we may
wishto create an opclass* that only indexes values, but for now keys and values are stored in GIN* indexes in a way
thatdoesn't really consider their relationship to each* other.

Is this an obsolete speculation about writing jsonb_hash_ops, or is there
still something worth preserving there?  If so, what?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>  * Jsonb Keys and string array elements are treated equivalently when
>  * serialized to text index storage.  One day we may wish to create an opclass
>  * that only indexes values, but for now keys and values are stored in GIN
>  * indexes in a way that doesn't really consider their relationship to each
>  * other.
>
> Is this an obsolete speculation about writing jsonb_hash_ops, or is there
> still something worth preserving there?  If so, what?

This is not obsolete. It would equally apply to a GiST opclass that
wanted to support our current definition of existence. Array elements
are keys simply by virtue of being strings, but otherwise are treated
as values. See the large comment block within gin_extract_jsonb().

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

Дата:
And while I'm looking at it ...

The jsonb_ops storage format for values is inherently lossy, because it
cannot distinguish the string values "n", "t", "f" from JSON null or
boolean true, false respectively; nor does it know the difference between
a number and a string containing digits.  This appears to not quite be a
bug because the consistent functions force recheck for all queries that
care about values (as opposed to keys).  But if it's documented anywhere
I don't see where.  And in any case, is it a good idea?  We could fairly
easily change things so that these cases are guaranteed distinguishable.
We're using an entire byte to convey one bit of information (key or
value); I'm inclined to redefine the flag byte so that it tells not just
that but which JSON datatype is involved.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The jsonb_ops storage format for values is inherently lossy, because it
> cannot distinguish the string values "n", "t", "f" from JSON null or
> boolean true, false respectively; nor does it know the difference between
> a number and a string containing digits.  This appears to not quite be a
> bug because the consistent functions force recheck for all queries that
> care about values (as opposed to keys).  But if it's documented anywhere
> I don't see where.

The fact that we *don't* set the reset flag for
JsonbExistsStrategyNumber, and why that's okay is prominently
documented. So I'd say that it is.

> And in any case, is it a good idea?  We could fairly
> easily change things so that these cases are guaranteed distinguishable.
> We're using an entire byte to convey one bit of information (key or
> value); I'm inclined to redefine the flag byte so that it tells not just
> that but which JSON datatype is involved.

It seemed simpler to do it that way. As I've said before, jsonb_ops is
mostly concerned with hstore-style indexing. It could also be
particularly useful for expressional indexes on "tags" arrays of
strings, which is a common use-case.

jsonb_hash_ops on the other hand is for testing containment, which is
useful for querying heavily nested documents, where typically there is
a very low selectivity for keys. It's not the default largely because
I was concerned about not supporting all indexable operators by
default, and because I suspected that it would be preferred to have a
default closer to hstore.

Anyway, doing things that way for values won't obviate the need to set
the reset flag, unless you come up with a much more sophisticated
scheme. Existence (of keys) is only tested in respect of the
top-level. Containment (where values are tested) is more complicated.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

Дата:
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Is this an obsolete speculation about writing jsonb_hash_ops, or is there
>> still something worth preserving there?  If so, what?

> This is not obsolete. It would equally apply to a GiST opclass that
> wanted to support our current definition of existence. Array elements
> are keys simply by virtue of being strings, but otherwise are treated
> as values. See the large comment block within gin_extract_jsonb().

It's not that aspect I'm complaining about, it's the bit about "one day we
may wish to write".  This comment should restrict itself to describing
what jsonb_ops does, not make already-or-soon-to-be-obsolete statements
about what other opclasses might or might not do.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

Дата:
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The jsonb_ops storage format for values is inherently lossy, because it
>> cannot distinguish the string values "n", "t", "f" from JSON null or
>> boolean true, false respectively; nor does it know the difference between
>> a number and a string containing digits.  This appears to not quite be a
>> bug because the consistent functions force recheck for all queries that
>> care about values (as opposed to keys).  But if it's documented anywhere
>> I don't see where.

> The fact that we *don't* set the reset flag for
> JsonbExistsStrategyNumber, and why that's okay is prominently
> documented. So I'd say that it is.

Meh.  Are you talking about the large comment block in gin_extract_jsonb?
The readability of that comment starts to go downhill with its use of
"reset" to refer to what everything else calls a "recheck" flag, and in
any case it's claiming that we *don't* need a recheck for exists (a
statement I suspect to be false, but more later).  It entirely fails to
explain that other query types *do* need a recheck because of arbitrary
decisions about not representing JSON datatype information fully.  There's
another comment in gin_consistent_jsonb that's just as misleading, because
it mentions (vaguely) some reasons why recheck is necessary without
mentioning this one.

A larger issue here is that, to the extent that this comment even has
the information I'm after, the comment is in the wrong place.  It is not
attached to the code that's actually making the lossy representational
choices (ie, make_scalar_key), nor to the code that decides whether or not
a recheck is needed (ie, gin_consistent_jsonb).  I don't think that basic
architectural choices like these should be relegated to comment blocks
inside specific functions to begin with.  A README file would be better,
perhaps, but there's not a specific directory associated with the jsonb
code; so I think this sort of info belongs either in jsonb.h or in the
file header comment for jsonb_gin.c.

> Anyway, doing things that way for values won't obviate the need to set
> the reset flag, unless you come up with a much more sophisticated
> scheme. Existence (of keys) is only tested in respect of the
> top-level. Containment (where values are tested) is more complicated.

I'm not expecting that it will make things better for the current query
operators.  I am thinking that exact rather than lossy storage might help
for future operators wanting to use this same index representation.
Once we ship 9.4, it's going to be very hard to change the index
representation, especially for the default opclass (cf the business about
which opclass is default for type inet).  So it behooves us to not throw
information away needlessly.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 05/07/2014 04:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> A README file would be better,
> perhaps, but there's not a specific directory associated with the jsonb
> code; so I think this sort of info belongs either in jsonb.h or in the
> file header comment for jsonb_gin.c.

Is there any reason we couldn't have a README.jsonb?

cheers

andrew

Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

Дата:
> On 05/07/2014 04:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> A README file would be better,
>> perhaps, but there's not a specific directory associated with the jsonb
>> code; so I think this sort of info belongs either in jsonb.h or in the
>> file header comment for jsonb_gin.c.

> Is there any reason we couldn't have a README.jsonb?

We could, but the only place I can see to put it would be in
backend/utils/adt/, which seems like a poor precedent; I don't want to end
up with forty-two README.foo files in there.  The header comments for the
jsonbxxx.c files are probably better candidates for collecting this sort
of info.

(The larger problem here is that utils/adt/ has become a catchbasin for
all kinds of stuff that can barely squeeze under the rubric of "abstract
data type".  But fixing that is something I don't care to tackle now.)
        regards, tom lane