Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:
>> Well, I guess it depends on what we define 'beta1' to be. Imo evaluating
>> problematic pieces of new code, locating unfinished pieces is part of
>> that. I don't see much point in forbidding incompatible changes in beta1
>> personally. That robs th the development cycle of the only period where
>> users can actually test the new version in a halfway sane manner and
>> report back with things that apparently broken.

> We need to be very careful to tell people about it though. Preferrably if
> we *know* a dump/reload will be needed to go beta1->beta2, we should
> actually document that in the releasenotes of beta1 already. So people can
> make proper plans..

This seems like much ado about very little.  The policy will be the same
as it ever was: once beta1 is out, we prefer to avoid forcing an initdb,
but we'll do it if we have to.

In any case, +1 for fixing whatever needs to be fixed now; I expect to
have a fix for the limited-GIN-index-length issue later today, and that
really is also an on-disk format change, though it won't affect short
index entries.  ("Short" is TBD; I was thinking of hashing keys longer
than say 128 bytes.)