Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation
Дата
Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2014-05-07 08:50:33 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > I don't think it's likely that beta1 will be binary compatible with the
> > final version at this point.
>
> I rather think we're not ready for beta1 at this point (but I expect
> to lose that argument).

Well, I guess it depends on what we define 'beta1' to be. Imo evaluating
problematic pieces of new code, locating unfinished pieces is part of
that. I don't see much point in forbidding incompatible changes in beta1
personally. That robs th the development cycle of the only period where
users can actually test the new version in a halfway sane manner and
report back with things that apparently broken.

We need to be very careful to tell people about it though. Preferrably if we *know* a dump/reload will be needed to go beta1->beta2, we should actually document that in the releasenotes of beta1 already. So people can make proper plans..

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Сообщение: Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation
Сообщение: Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation