Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Wanted: jsonb on-disk representation documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> That might or might not be true. I don't really remember. Documentation
> about the on-disk format is the one thing I am sure about that's not
> done.

I think it would be best to do that with reference to a concrete
example. As I said, I'll work on a patch.

> The reviews I did were really cursory reviews, nothing thorough. There's
> large parts of the code (e.g. jsonb_gin.c) I didn't even look at. And
> others I don't really understand. I also didn't have time to look at the
> later versions. The code did improve, don't get me wrong. Otherwise I'd
> have been very vocal about this when committed.
> But it's still pretty hard to read/understand code. Which imo is
> problematic for a feature touted being absolutely critical for postgres'
> success. If other's want a taste, take a peek at
> findJsonbValueFromSuperHeader()'s code.

I don't really know what to say to that. Lots of code in Postgres is
complicated, especially if you look at one particular function without
some wider context. Is your objection that the complexity is
incidental rather than essential? If so, how?

--
Peter Geoghegan