Обсуждение: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
There's an interesting buildfarm failure here:
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=polecat&dt=2010-08-10%2023:46:10
It appears to me that this was caused by the concurrent run of another
buildfarm animal on the same physical machine, namely:
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=colugos&dt=2010-08-11%2000:02:58
Both animals are trying to test HEAD, which means that pg_regress
defaults to the same postmaster port number in both builds:
   if (temp_install && !port_specified_by_user)
       /*        * To reduce chances of interference with parallel installations, use        * a port number starting
inthe private range (49152-65535)        * calculated from the version number.        */       port = 0xC000 |
(PG_VERSION_NUM& 0x3FFF);

We observe colugos successfully starting on that port:

============== starting postmaster                    ==============
running on port 57332 with pid 47019
============== creating database "regression"         ==============
CREATE DATABASE
ALTER DATABASE
... etc etc ...

polecat comes along what must be only moments later, and tries to use
the same port for its temp install:

============== starting postmaster                    ==============
running on port 57332 with pid 47022
============== creating database "regression"         ==============
ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "pg_database_datname_index"
DETAIL:  Key (datname)=(regression) already exists.
command failed:
"/usr/local/src/build-farm-3.2/builds/HEAD/pgsql.15278/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/install//usr/local/src/build-farm-3.2/builds/HEAD/inst/bin/psql"
-X-c "CREATE DATABASE \"regression\" TEMPLATE=template0 ENCODING='SQL_ASCII' LC_COLLATE='C' LC_CTYPE='C'" "postgres"

pg_ctl: PID file
"/usr/local/src/build-farm-3.2/builds/HEAD/pgsql.15278/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/postmaster.pid"does not exist

Is server running?

pg_regress: could not stop postmaster: exit code was 256

Now the postmaster log shows that the second postmaster correctly
recognized that the port number was already in use, so it bailed out:

================== pgsql.15278/src/test/regress/log/postmaster.log ===================
[4c61f2d2.b7ae:1] FATAL:  lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.57332.lock" already exists
[4c61f2d2.b7ae:2] HINT:  Is another postmaster (PID 47019) using socket file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.57332"?

However, pg_regress failed to have a clue about what had happened,
and bulled ahead trying to run the regression tests (against the
postmaster started by the other pg_regress instance).  A look at the
code shows that it is merely trying to run psql, and if psql reports
that it can connect to the specified port, then pg_regress thinks the
postmaster started OK.  Of course, psql was really reporting that it
could connect to the other instance's postmaster.

I've seen similar multiple-postmaster-interference symptoms before in
the buildfarm, but never really understood the cause.

I am not sure if there's anything very good we can do about the
problem of pg_regress misidentifying the postmaster it's managed to
connect to.  A real solution would probably be much more trouble than
it's worth, anyway.  However, it does seem like we ought to be able to
do something about two buildfarm critters defaulting to the same choice
of port number.  The buildfarm infrastructure goes to great lengths to
pick nonconflicting port numbers for the "installed" postmasters it
runs; but we're ignoring all that effort and just using a hardwired
port number for "make check".  This is dumb.

pg_regress does have a --port argument that can be used to override
that default.  I don't know whether the buildfarm script calls
pg_regress directly or does "make check".  If the latter, we'd need to
twiddle the Makefiles to allow a port number to get passed in.  But
this seems well worthwhile to me.

Comments?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Vik Reykja
Дата:
style="margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;"><div id=":1h2">I am not
sureif there's anything very good we can do about the<br /> problem of pg_regress misidentifying the postmaster it's
managedto<br /> connect to.  A real solution would probably be much more trouble than<br /> it's worth, anyway.
 However,it does seem like we ought to be able to<br /> do something about two buildfarm critters defaulting to the
samechoice<br /> of port number.  The buildfarm infrastructure goes to great lengths to<br /> pick nonconflicting port
numbersfor the "installed" postmasters it<br /> runs; but we're ignoring all that effort and just using a hardwired<br
/>port number for "make check".  This is dumb.<br /><br /> pg_regress does have a --port argument that can be used to
override<br/> that default.  I don't know whether the buildfarm script calls<br /> pg_regress directly or does "make
check". If the latter, we'd need to<br /> twiddle the Makefiles to allow a port number to get passed in.  But<br />
namethe client connections.  Would it be interesting to be able to name the server installation itself?<br />

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 08/11/2010 12:42 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> [...]

> I am not sure if there's anything very good we can do about the
> problem of pg_regress misidentifying the postmaster it's managed to
> connect to.  A real solution would probably be much more trouble than
> it's worth, anyway.  However, it does seem like we ought to be able to
> do something about two buildfarm critters defaulting to the same choice
> of port number.  The buildfarm infrastructure goes to great lengths to
> pick nonconflicting port numbers for the "installed" postmasters it
> runs; but we're ignoring all that effort and just using a hardwired
> port number for "make check".  This is dumb.
>
> pg_regress does have a --port argument that can be used to override
> that default.  I don't know whether the buildfarm script calls
> pg_regress directly or does "make check".  If the latter, we'd need to
> twiddle the Makefiles to allow a port number to get passed in.  But

The buildfarm calls "make check".

Why not just add the configured port (DEF_PGPORT) into the calculation
of the port to run on?

cheers

andrew

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> On 08/11/2010 12:42 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> ...  However, it does seem like we ought to be able to
>> do something about two buildfarm critters defaulting to the same choice
>> of port number.

> Why not just add the configured port (DEF_PGPORT) into the calculation
> of the port to run on?

No, that would be just about the worst possible choice.  It'd be
guaranteed to fail in the standard scenario that you are running
"make check" before updating an existing installation.

I think what we want to do here is arrange for the buildfarm script to
select the same port that it's going to use later for an "installed"
postmaster, but it has to go via a different path than DEF_PGPORT.

The first thought that comes to mind is to adjust the makefiles
like this:
ifdef REGRESSION_TEST_PORT... add --port $(REGRESSION_TEST_PORT) to pg_regress flags ...endif

and then the buildfarm script could use
make REGRESSION_TEST_PORT=nnn check

But I'm not sure what the cleanest way is if we have to pass that
down from the top-level makefile.  Make doesn't pass down variables
automatically does it?

Another possibility is to allow a regression test port number to
be configured via configure; though that seems like a slightly
larger change than I'd want to push into the back branches.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> A look at the code shows that it is merely trying to run psql, and
> if psql reports that it can connect to the specified port, then
> pg_regress thinks the postmaster started OK.  Of course, psql was
> really reporting that it could connect to the other instance's
> postmaster.
Clearly picking unique ports for `make check` is the ultimate
solution, but I'm curious whether this would have been caught sooner
with less effort if the pg_ctl TODO titled "Have the postmaster
write a random number to a file on startup that pg_ctl checks
against the contents of a pg_ping response on its initial connection
(without login)" had been implemented.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2009-10/msg00110.php
It sounds like it's related; but was curious to confirm.
-Kevin

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> A look at the code shows that it is merely trying to run psql, and
>> if psql reports that it can connect to the specified port, then
>> pg_regress thinks the postmaster started OK.  Of course, psql was
>> really reporting that it could connect to the other instance's
>> postmaster.
> Clearly picking unique ports for `make check` is the ultimate
> solution, but I'm curious whether this would have been caught sooner
> with less effort if the pg_ctl TODO titled "Have the postmaster
> write a random number to a file on startup that pg_ctl checks
> against the contents of a pg_ping response on its initial connection
> (without login)" had been implemented.

It would certainly make the failure more transparent.  As I mentioned,
there are previous buildfarm failures that look like they might be
caused by a similar conflict, but it's seldom possible to be sure.
A cross-check like that would be much safer.

BTW, I don't know why anyone would think that "a random number" would
offer any advantage here.  I'd use the postmaster PID, which is
guaranteed to be unique across the space that you're worried about.
In fact, you could implement this off the existing postmaster.pid,
no need for any new file.  What's lacking is the pg_ping protocol.

On 08/11/2010 09:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net>  writes:
>> On 08/11/2010 12:42 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> ...  However, it does seem like we ought to be able to
>>> do something about two buildfarm critters defaulting to the same choice
>>> of port number.
>> Why not just add the configured port (DEF_PGPORT) into the calculation
>> of the port to run on?
> No, that would be just about the worst possible choice.  It'd be
> guaranteed to fail in the standard scenario that you are running
> "make check" before updating an existing installation.

One of us is missing something. I didn't say to run the checks using the
configured port. I had in mind something like:
    port = 0xC000 | ((PG_VERSION_NUM + DEF_PGPORT) &  0x3FFF);

cheers

andrew

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> BTW, I don't know why anyone would think that "a random number"
> would offer any advantage here.  I'd use the postmaster PID, which
> is guaranteed to be unique across the space that you're worried
> about.
Well, in the post I cited, it was you who argued that the PID was a
bad choice, suggested a random number, and stated "That would have a
substantially lower collision probability than PID, if the number
generation process were well designed; and it wouldn't risk exposing
anything sensitive in the ping response."
-Kevin

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> BTW, I don't know why anyone would think that "a random number"
>> would offer any advantage here.  I'd use the postmaster PID, which
>> is guaranteed to be unique across the space that you're worried
>> about.
> Well, in the post I cited, it was you who argued that the PID was a
> bad choice, suggested a random number, and stated "That would have a
> substantially lower collision probability than PID, if the number
> generation process were well designed; and it wouldn't risk exposing
> anything sensitive in the ping response."

Hmm. I don't remember why we'd think that the postmaster PID was
sensitive information ... but if you take that as true, then yeah
it couldn't be included in a pg_ping response.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> On 08/11/2010 09:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net>  writes:
>>> Why not just add the configured port (DEF_PGPORT) into the calculation
>>> of the port to run on?

>> No, that would be just about the worst possible choice.  It'd be
>> guaranteed to fail in the standard scenario that you are running
>> "make check" before updating an existing installation.

> One of us is missing something. I didn't say to run the checks using the
> configured port. I had in mind something like:

>      port = 0xC000 | ((PG_VERSION_NUM + DEF_PGPORT) &  0x3FFF);

Oh, I see, modify the DEF_PGPORT don't just use it as-is.  OK, except
that I think something like the above is still pretty risky for the
buildfarm, because you would still have conflicts for assorted
combinations of version numbers and branch_port settings.

How about just this:
    port = 0xC000 | (DEF_PGPORT & 0x3FFF);

If anyone was actually using a DEF_PGPORT above 0xC000, this would mean
that they couldn't run "make check" on the same machine as their running
installation (at least not without adjusting pg_regress's port choice,
which I still think we need to tweak the makefiles to make easier).
But for ordinary buildfarm usage, this would be guaranteed not to
conflict as long as you'd chosen nonconflicting branch_ports for all
your branches and animals.

Or we could do something like
    port = 0xC000 ^ (DEF_PGPORT & 0x7FFF);

which is absolutely guaranteed not to conflict with DEF_PGPORT, at the
cost of possibly shifting into the 32K-48K port number range if you
had set DEF_PGPORT above 48K.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>>> No, that would be just about the worst possible choice.  It'd be
>>> guaranteed to fail in the standard scenario that you are running
>>> "make check" before updating an existing installation.
>
>> One of us is missing something. I didn't say to run the checks using the
>> configured port. I had in mind something like:
>
>>      port = 0xC000 | ((PG_VERSION_NUM + DEF_PGPORT) &  0x3FFF);
>
> Oh, I see, modify the DEF_PGPORT don't just use it as-is.  OK, except
> that I think something like the above is still pretty risky for the
> buildfarm, because you would still have conflicts for assorted
> combinations of version numbers and branch_port settings.
>
> How about just this:
>
>     port = 0xC000 | (DEF_PGPORT & 0x3FFF);
>
> If anyone was actually using a DEF_PGPORT above 0xC000, this would mean
> that they couldn't run "make check" on the same machine as their running
> installation (at least not without adjusting pg_regress's port choice,
> which I still think we need to tweak the makefiles to make easier).
> But for ordinary buildfarm usage, this would be guaranteed not to
> conflict as long as you'd chosen nonconflicting branch_ports for all
> your branches and animals.
>
> Or we could do something like
>
>     port = 0xC000 ^ (DEF_PGPORT & 0x7FFF);
>
> which is absolutely guaranteed not to conflict with DEF_PGPORT, at the
> cost of possibly shifting into the 32K-48K port number range if you
> had set DEF_PGPORT above 48K.

I like XOR a lot better than OR.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
Vik Reykja <vikreykja@gmail.com> writes:
> We just put in the possibility to name the client connections.  Would it be
> interesting to be able to name the server installation itself?

Wouldn't do anything for this problem --- it would just introduce
something else the buildfarm would have to worry about uniqueness of.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Or we could do something like
>>
>> � � port = 0xC000 ^ (DEF_PGPORT & 0x7FFF);
>>
>> which is absolutely guaranteed not to conflict with DEF_PGPORT, at the
>> cost of possibly shifting into the 32K-48K port number range if you
>> had set DEF_PGPORT above 48K.

> I like XOR a lot better than OR.

Yeah, on reflection that seems better.  Barring objection I will see
about making this happen in all live branches.

On 08/11/2010 10:23 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

>> Or we could do something like
>>
>>      port = 0xC000 ^ (DEF_PGPORT&  0x7FFF);
>>
>> which is absolutely guaranteed not to conflict with DEF_PGPORT, at the
>> cost of possibly shifting into the 32K-48K port number range if you
>> had set DEF_PGPORT above 48K.
> I like XOR a lot better than OR.

For years we told people to make sure they picked 4 digit port numbers
for the buildfarm, and while I removed that note recently it can be put
back. So I don't think there's much danger - let's got with XOR.

cheers

andrew

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2010-08-11 at 10:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > One of us is missing something. I didn't say to run the checks using
> the
> > configured port. I had in mind something like:
>
> >      port = 0xC000 | ((PG_VERSION_NUM + DEF_PGPORT) &  0x3FFF);
>
> Oh, I see, modify the DEF_PGPORT don't just use it as-is.  OK, except
> that I think something like the above is still pretty risky for the
> buildfarm, because you would still have conflicts for assorted
> combinations of version numbers and branch_port settings.
>
> How about just this:
>
>      port = 0xC000 | (DEF_PGPORT & 0x3FFF);

The version number was put in there intentionally, for developers who
work on multiple branches at once.  That's the whole reason this code
exists.  Please don't remove it.

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2010-08-11 at 09:55 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> BTW, I don't know why anyone would think that "a random number" would
> offer any advantage here.  I'd use the postmaster PID, which is
> guaranteed to be unique across the space that you're worried about.
> In fact, you could implement this off the existing postmaster.pid,
> no need for any new file.  What's lacking is the pg_ping protocol.

Why not just compare pg_backend_pid() with postmaster.pid?

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> On ons, 2010-08-11 at 09:55 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> BTW, I don't know why anyone would think that "a random number" would
>> offer any advantage here.  I'd use the postmaster PID, which is
>> guaranteed to be unique across the space that you're worried about.
>> In fact, you could implement this off the existing postmaster.pid,
>> no need for any new file.  What's lacking is the pg_ping protocol.

> Why not just compare pg_backend_pid() with postmaster.pid?

How's that help?  pg_backend_pid isn't going to return the postmaster's
PID ... maybe we could add a new function that does return the
postmaster's PID, though.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> On ons, 2010-08-11 at 10:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> How about just this:
>>    port = 0xC000 | (DEF_PGPORT & 0x3FFF);

> The version number was put in there intentionally, for developers who
> work on multiple branches at once.  That's the whole reason this code
> exists.  Please don't remove it.

I work on multiple branches all day every day.  This wouldn't hinder
me in the slightest, because I use a different DEF_PGPORT for each
branch.  If you don't, it's hard to see how you manage to deal with
multiple branches on one machine ... do you not ever actually install
them?  Even if you don't, changing this would only mean that you
couldn't safely run "make check" concurrently in multiple branches.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On ons, 2010-08-11 at 09:55 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> BTW, I don't know why anyone would think that "a random number"
>> would offer any advantage here.  I'd use the postmaster PID,
>> which is guaranteed to be unique across the space that you're
>> worried about.  In fact, you could implement this off the
>> existing postmaster.pid, no need for any new file.  What's
>> lacking is the pg_ping protocol.
>
> Why not just compare pg_backend_pid() with postmaster.pid?
See the prior discussion in the archives.  We started with that and
found problems, to which Tom suggested a random number as the best
solution.  Let's at least start any further discussion informed by
what's gone before; if there was a flaw in the reasoning, please
point that out.
-Kevin

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2010-08-11 at 11:48 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> How's that help?  pg_backend_pid isn't going to return the
> postmaster's
> PID ... maybe we could add a new function that does return the
> postmaster's PID, though.

Hmm, is there a portable way to find the parent PID of some other
process, given its PID?

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Andrew Dunstan

> On ons, 2010-08-11 at 10:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> One of us is missing something. I didn't say to run the checks using
>> the
>>> configured port. I had in mind something like:
>>>       port = 0xC000 | ((PG_VERSION_NUM + DEF_PGPORT)&   0x3FFF);
>> Oh, I see, modify the DEF_PGPORT don't just use it as-is.  OK, except
>> that I think something like the above is still pretty risky for the
>> buildfarm, because you would still have conflicts for assorted
>> combinations of version numbers and branch_port settings.
>>
>> How about just this:
>>
>>       port = 0xC000 | (DEF_PGPORT&  0x3FFF);
> The version number was put in there intentionally, for developers who
> work on multiple branches at once.  That's the whole reason this code
> exists.  Please don't remove it.

Do they run "make check" by hand simultaneously on multiple branches?
That's the only way you'd get a collision here, I think.

cheers

andrew

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Why not just compare pg_backend_pid() with postmaster.pid?
> See the prior discussion in the archives.  We started with that and
> found problems, to which Tom suggested a random number as the best
> solution.

I think Peter's idea is a bit different though.  The previous concern
was about what information would be okay to expose in a pg_ping response
packet, which presumably would be available to anybody who could open a
connection to the postmaster port.  What he's suggesting is to
crosscheck against data that is available after a successful login.
That eliminates the security complaint.

It strikes me we could do something without adding a postmaster-PID
SQL function, too.  What about doing SHOW DATA_DIRECTORY and comparing
that to what pg_regress expects?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2010-08-11 at 11:53 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > The version number was put in there intentionally, for developers
> who
> > work on multiple branches at once.  That's the whole reason this
> code
> > exists.  Please don't remove it.
> >

> Do they run "make check" by hand simultaneously on multiple branches?
> That's the only way you'd get a collision here, I think.

That is exactly what I'm talking about.

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2010-08-11 at 11:47 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On ons, 2010-08-11 at 10:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> How about just this:
> >>    port = 0xC000 | (DEF_PGPORT & 0x3FFF);
>
> > The version number was put in there intentionally, for developers who
> > work on multiple branches at once.  That's the whole reason this code
> > exists.  Please don't remove it.
>
> I work on multiple branches all day every day.  This wouldn't hinder
> me in the slightest, because I use a different DEF_PGPORT for each
> branch.  If you don't, it's hard to see how you manage to deal with
> multiple branches on one machine ... do you not ever actually install
> them?

No, not nearly as much as I run "make check".

> Even if you don't, changing this would only mean that you
> couldn't safely run "make check" concurrently in multiple branches.

That's exactly the point.  The original discussion is here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/491D9935.9010200@gmx.net

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
youdon't, changing this would only mean that you

couldn't safely run "make check" concurrently in multiple branches.
That's exactly the point.  The original discussion is here:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/491D9935.9010200@gmx.net">http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/491D9935.9010200@gmx.net</a>

mylocal scripts set up so that they </tt><tt>build development instances using the hardcoded port 65432.<br
reasonablyuse something like DEF_PGPORT + 10 * major_version + minor_version in the calculation and advise buildfarm
memberswith multiple animals to keep their port ranges say, 200 or more apart.<br /><br /> But maybe we should just

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> You original email said:
>     For some historic reasons, I have my local scripts set up so that
>     they build development instances using the hardcoded port 65432.

> I think my response would be "Don't do that".

Yeah ... or at least use a different port per branch.  Or make use of
the ability to force pg_regress to use a nondefault port (which I still
say we need to make accessible through "make check", whether or not the
buildfarm does it that way).

> Having said that, maybe we could reasonably use something like
> DEF_PGPORT + 10 * major_version + minor_version in the calculation and
> advise buildfarm members with multiple animals to keep their port ranges
> say, 200 or more apart.

I think that just makes it more prone to failure.  We should have the
buildfarm configuration such that any one run uses the same port number
for both installed and uninstalled regression tests.  If Peter is dead
set on not changing pg_regress's default, then changing the makefiles to
enable use of the --port switch is the way to do that.

On 08/11/2010 04:17 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> We should have the
> buildfarm configuration such that any one run uses the same port number
> for both installed and uninstalled regression tests.  If Peter is dead
> set on not changing pg_regress's default, then changing the makefiles to
> enable use of the --port switch is the way to do that.

If you really want it to use the exact same port, then we'll probably
need to change the Makefiles regardless of how we eventually decide to
set the default.

Another way would be to have pg_regress honour an environment var like
PG_REGRESS_PORT, which the buildfarm script could use.

cheers

andrew

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> Another way would be to have pg_regress honour an environment var like
> PG_REGRESS_PORT, which the buildfarm script could use.

Yeah, that would work too.  (Is it portable to Windows, though?)

I prefer the change-the-default approach mainly because it wouldn't
require any documentation, whereas it'd be a bit hard to argue that
environment variables etc shouldn't be documented ...

On 08/11/2010 04:47 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net>  writes:
>> Another way would be to have pg_regress honour an environment var like
>> PG_REGRESS_PORT, which the buildfarm script could use.
> Yeah, that would work too.  (Is it portable to Windows, though?)

Should be

> I prefer the change-the-default approach mainly because it wouldn't
> require any documentation, whereas it'd be a bit hard to argue that
> environment variables etc shouldn't be documented ...

Yeah. The other advantage is that we would not need to wait until we had
got everyone to update their versions of the buildfarm code. So I agree
this is the nicest solution.

cheers

andrew

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> On 08/11/2010 04:47 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I prefer the change-the-default approach mainly because it wouldn't
>> require any documentation,

> Yeah. The other advantage is that we would not need to wait until we had
> got everyone to update their versions of the buildfarm code.

Um.  That's actually a pretty darn strong point, considering how
slow some buildfarm owners are to update the script :-(
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On 08/11/2010 04:47 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I prefer the change-the-default approach mainly because it wouldn't
>>> require any documentation,
>
>> Yeah. The other advantage is that we would not need to wait until we had
>> got everyone to update their versions of the buildfarm code.
>
> Um.  That's actually a pretty darn strong point, considering how
> slow some buildfarm owners are to update the script :-(

Well, it's a convenient time to get such changes in, now, because
folks are going to need to update their scripts rather soon as a
consequence of the Git migration :-).

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2010-08-11 at 16:17 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> We should have the buildfarm configuration such that any one run uses
> the same port number for both installed and uninstalled regression
> tests.

I'm getting lost here what the actual requirements are.  The above is
obviously not going to work as a default for pg_regress, because the
port number for an installed test is determined by the user and is
likely to be in the public range, whereas the uninstalled test should
use something from the private range.

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On ons, 2010-08-11 at 15:06 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> You original email said:
>
>         For some historic reasons, I have my local scripts set up so
>         that they build development instances using the hardcoded port
>         65432.
>
> I think my response would be "Don't do that".

Do you have a concrete suggestion for a different way to handle it?

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
cite="mid:1281617034.4463.7.camel@fsopti579.F-Secure.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">On ons, 2010-08-11 at 15:06 -0400,
AndrewDunstan wrote:

       For some historic reasons, I have my local scripts set up so       that they build development instances using
thehardcoded port       65432.

I think my response would be "Don't do that".
Do you have a concrete suggestion for a different way to handle it?

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

Дата:
> On ons, 2010-08-11 at 16:17 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> We should have the buildfarm configuration such that any one run uses
>> the same port number for both installed and uninstalled regression
>> tests.

> I'm getting lost here what the actual requirements are.  The above is
> obviously not going to work as a default for pg_regress, because the
> port number for an installed test is determined by the user and is
> likely to be in the public range, whereas the uninstalled test should
> use something from the private range.

Certainly, but the buildfarm's "installed" test doesn't try to start on
5432.  It starts on whatever branch_port the buildfarm owner has
specified for that animal and that branch.  It's the owner's
responsibility to make that nonconflicting across the services and
buildfarm critters he has running on a given machine.  What I'm saying
is that *in the buildfarm* we want the "make check" case to also use
this predetermined safe port number.  That has nothing whatever to do
with what is good practice for other cases.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regression tests versus the buildfarm environment

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
type="cite"><prewrap="">Peter Eisentraut <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:peter_e@gmx.net"><peter_e@gmx.net></a>writes:

the same port number for both installed and uninstalled regression
tests.
obviously not going to work as a default for pg_regress, because the
port number for an installed test is determined by the user and is
likely to be in the public range, whereas the uninstalled test should
use something from the private range.
Certainly, but the buildfarm's "installed" test doesn't try to start on
5432.  It starts on whatever branch_port the buildfarm owner has
specified for that animal and that branch.  It's the owner's
responsibility to make that nonconflicting across the services and
buildfarm critters he has running on a given machine.  What I'm saying
is that *in the buildfarm* we want the "make check" case to also use
this predetermined safe port number.  That has nothing whatever to do
with what is good practice for other cases.

providefor a TMP_PORT setting that gets passed to pg_regress<li>change src/tools/msvc/vcregress.pl to
options.</ul><br/> I don't think this should preclude changing the way we calculate the default port for pg_regress,