Обсуждение: RC1 blocker issues

RC1 blocker issues

Дата:
Here's what I see as the remaining things we need to resolve before
wrapping 8.2RC1:

* Brendan Jurd's recent report about from_char/to_char not being
consistent about 'D':
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00226.php
Is this a bug?  If so I think we should fix it now.

* the to_char month/day name localization issue.  Consensus at the
moment seems to be that we should revert the last-minute patch.

* possible rearrangement of pg_stat column order:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00643.php
Should we do this, and if so should we force initdb (via a catversion
change)?  I'm currently leaning to the thought that if we change it
we should force initdb, else we'll risk having a noticeable user-visible
difference between different "8.2" installations.  Personally I'd vote
for the change, but I don't have any big beta databases to reload ;-)

BTW, if we do change system_views.sql I'm inclined to remove the hack
for pg_stat_file() at the bottom, and instead fix pg_proc.h --- initdb
can handle this properly now.
        regards, tom lane

Re: RC1 blocker issues

I wrote:
> * possible rearrangement of pg_stat column order:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00643.php
> Should we do this, and if so should we force initdb (via a catversion
> change)?  I'm currently leaning to the thought that if we change it
> we should force initdb, else we'll risk having a noticeable user-visible
> difference between different "8.2" installations.

Actually, on looking closer, we *must* force initdb because this changes
the expected output for the rules regression test.

So, yea or nay?  I'm working up the patch right now, but will hold off
applying until I hear some comments.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> * Brendan Jurd's recent report about from_char/to_char not being
> consistent about 'D':
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00226.php
> Is this a bug?  If so I think we should fix it now.

Should be fixed, unless someone with Oracle can show that it is
intentional.

> * the to_char month/day name localization issue.  Consensus at the
> moment seems to be that we should revert the last-minute patch.

Leave for 8.3.

> * possible rearrangement of pg_stat column order:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00643.php
> Should we do this, and if so should we force initdb (via a catversion
> change)?  I'm currently leaning to the thought that if we change it
> we should force initdb, else we'll risk having a noticeable
> user-visible difference between different "8.2" installations.

Fix and initdb.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: RC1 blocker issues

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 02:48:22PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
> > * possible rearrangement of pg_stat column order:
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00643.php
> > Should we do this, and if so should we force initdb (via a
> > catversion change)?  I'm currently leaning to the thought that if
> > we change it we should force initdb, else we'll risk having a
> > noticeable user-visible difference between different "8.2"
> > installations.
>
> Actually, on looking closer, we *must* force initdb because this
> changes the expected output for the rules regression test.
>
> So, yea or nay?  I'm working up the patch right now, but will hold
> off applying until I hear some comments.

+1 on applying it.  Beta testers should understand what "beta" and
"test" mean. :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> * the to_char month/day name localization issue.  Consensus at the
>> moment seems to be that we should revert the last-minute patch.

> Leave for 8.3.

Uh, you mean leave the patch in?  I thought you wanted it out.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> * the to_char month/day name localization issue.  Consensus at the
> >> moment seems to be that we should revert the last-minute patch.
>
> > Leave for 8.3.
>
> Uh, you mean leave the patch in?  I thought you wanted it out.

I assume he means leave the change for 8.3, not now.

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> * the to_char month/day name localization issue.  Consensus at the
> >> moment seems to be that we should revert the last-minute patch.
> >
> > Leave for 8.3.
>
> Uh, you mean leave the patch in?  I thought you wanted it out.

Sorry, take the patch out but leave the issue pending for 8.3.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: RC1 blocker issues

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 12:37 -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 02:48:22PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I wrote:
> > > * possible rearrangement of pg_stat column order:
> > > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00643.php
> > > Should we do this, and if so should we force initdb (via a
> > > catversion change)?  I'm currently leaning to the thought that if
> > > we change it we should force initdb, else we'll risk having a
> > > noticeable user-visible difference between different "8.2"
> > > installations.
> >
> > Actually, on looking closer, we *must* force initdb because this
> > changes the expected output for the rules regression test.
> >
> > So, yea or nay?  I'm working up the patch right now, but will hold
> > off applying until I hear some comments.
>
> +1 on applying it.  Beta testers should understand what "beta" and
> "test" mean. :)

Yes, I would like to rearrange the columns.

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: RC1 blocker issues

От
"Andrew Dunstan"
Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
>> * possible rearrangement of pg_stat column order:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00643.php
>> Should we do this, and if so should we force initdb (via a catversion
>> change)?  I'm currently leaning to the thought that if we change it
>> we should force initdb, else we'll risk having a noticeable user-visible
>> difference between different "8.2" installations.
>
> Actually, on looking closer, we *must* force initdb because this changes
> the expected output for the rules regression test.
>
> So, yea or nay?  I'm working up the patch right now, but will hold off
> applying until I hear some comments.

Fixing it later would be nastier, or impossible. I think we should fix it
now. We don't have an absolute promise not to require an initdb during
beta, do we?

cheers

andrew

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

> > > Leave for 8.3.
> >
> > Uh, you mean leave the patch in?  I thought you wanted it out.
>
> Sorry, take the patch out but leave the issue pending for 8.3.

OK, patch reverted.

Re: RC1 blocker issues

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
>> * possible rearrangement of pg_stat column order:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00643.php
>> Should we do this, and if so should we force initdb (via a catversion
>> change)?  I'm currently leaning to the thought that if we change it
>> we should force initdb, else we'll risk having a noticeable user-visible
>> difference between different "8.2" installations.
>
> Actually, on looking closer, we *must* force initdb because this changes
> the expected output for the rules regression test.
>
> So, yea or nay?  I'm working up the patch right now, but will hold off
> applying until I hear some comments.

I would like to see it changed - even late into the beta cycle ...

Stefan

Re: RC1 blocker issues

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> BTW, if we do change system_views.sql I'm inclined to remove the hack
> for pg_stat_file() at the bottom, and instead fix pg_proc.h --- initdb
> can handle this properly now.

There is no reason to rush the release of 8.2, if there are last minute
-- known items. We should fix them. Being a month late, but having a
better product, is always a better solution.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Saturday, November 25, 2006 11:00:04 -0800 "Joshua D. Drake"
> <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> As rare as he and I agree ... I agree

Wow - you wanna go lie down for a while?

:-p

Regards, Dave.

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> - --On Saturday, November 25, 2006 11:00:04 -0800 "Joshua D. Drake"
>> <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>
>> As rare as he and I agree ... I agree
>
> Wow - you wanna go lie down for a while?

Oh come on... it isn't *that* rare ;)

Joshua D. Drake

> :-p
>
> Regards, Dave.

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> As rare as he and I agree ... I agree ... LISA is nice and all, but
> end product *is* more important then timing, unless you are Microsoft,
> of course :)

I'm not concerned about announcing at LISA (though I know Josh is) ...
but at the same time I want to get the thing out the door.  I'm not sure
that anything will be gained by further delay.

This has been sort of a weird beta period, because it's the first one
we've had where cleaning up portability problems has been a complete
non-issue.  The buildfarm has changed the rules of the game that way.
Previously we've always had to allocate a fair amount of time for
getting and dealing with port reports, but I don't think we need to
do that anymore.  So really the release decision is down to "at what
point do we think it's stable enough to call it a release?".

I think we're at that point already: I just looked through the CVS logs,
and by my count there were 40 non-cosmetic patches applied to the main
source tree (not doc/ or contrib/) during the past month.  Of these
all but three either were or could have been applied to 8.1 as well,
ie, they fixed problems that exist in 8.1 or before.  The three actual
new-in-8.2 bugs found in the last thirty days are:

* backend/catalog/information_schema.sql: Fix errors inkey_column_usage.position_in_unique_constraint column
recentlyaddedto information_schema (per a SQL2003 addition).  The originalcoding failed if a referenced column
participatedin more than onepg_constraint entry.  Also, it did not work if an FK relieddirectly on a unique index
withoutany constraint syntactic sugar--- this case is outside the SQL spec, but PG has always supportedit, so it's
reasonablefor our information_schema to handle it too.Per bug#2750 from Stephen Haberman.

* backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c: Fix pg_get_serial_sequence(),which could incorrectly return the name of an index on a
serialcolumn,rather than the name of the associated sequence.  Falloutfrom recent changes in dependency setup for
serials. Per bug #2732from Basil Evseenko.

* backend/catalog/system_views.sql, backend/utils/adt/genfile.c,include/catalog/catversion.h,
include/catalog/pg_proc.h,test/regress/expected/rules.out:Change pg_stat_all_tables andsister views to put the
recently-addedvacuum/analyze timestampcolumns at the end, rather than at a random spot in the middle asin the original
patch.

That last one barely even qualifies as a bug; it's a cosmetic
improvement.  So it's now a solid two weeks since we found a real new bug.

So if you ask me, we are past the point of diminishing returns for the
current level of testing.  Putting out an RC might draw the attention of
a few more people, but really the only way we are going to find more
bugs is to put out a release.  Or perhaps knock heads together a little
harder on pgsql-hackers to make people think less about 8.3 development
and more about 8.2 testing, but how successful is that likely to be?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От
"Marc G. Fournier"