Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Marc, Josh:

> > There is no reason to rush the release of 8.2, if there are last minute
> > -- known items. We should fix them. Being a month late, but having a
> > better product, is always a better solution.
>
> As rare as he and I agree ... I agree ... LISA is nice and all, but end
> product *is* more important then timing, unless you are Microsoft, of
> course :)

Just so you all know: I gave a green flag for two magazines (one in Middle
East, one in Dutch) to carry articles about 8.2 for their January issues,
which will come out in December.   So there's a distinct possibility that
those magazines will come out and 8.2 still won't be available.  I hadn't
anticipated us slipping the schedule by more than a month.  Not that this
should be our deciding criteria, but just so people know that I'm not just
pushing the date for no reason.

Also note that if we release between December 18th and January 3rd, we can
pretty much expect no coverage from the press.

Overall, I submit that our release process is broken, and that we're having
trouble getting this release out because nobody is paying attention to it (of
which I too have been guilty off-and-on).  I suggest that we need something
different for 8.3, or we can forget about even trying to do a short release
schedule.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun