Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> Of course every feature in 8.2 is appreciated, but that doesn't mean I
>> have customers clamoring for them. I am just now getting most of our
>> customers to move to 8.1. I still have many customers on 7.3.
>
> [blink...]  You are doing those customers a disservice.  Yes, I know
> that Red Hat is still nominally supporting 7.3 and even 7.1, but that's
> only because of an overly conservative corporate policy --- there are
> way too many unfixable problems in those ancient releases.

You are preaching to the choir here :) but money talks, and if the app
works.... I have an insurance company that is on 7.3.15, why? Because it
works for them. Their app is in a mature and stable life cycle with very
few changes.

If it makes you feel any better, the majority are moving away and toward
8.1 but (new business excluded) customers don't like to change. They
want to rely on their platform.

We have finally determined that Replicator is EOF for 7.3 and 7.4 and
will not be supported *period* past 12/31/06, which has forced some
migrations for customers. However for customers that are not using
replicator, there isn't a whole lot we can do...

Now if PostgreSQL.Org were to officially announce EOF of certain
versions, it would definitely lend weight to my argument to customers.

>> Which pushes them to 8.4 potentially, which makes things even more
>> interesting because what I list above, is what *my* customers want and
>> have wanted for a long time
>
> AFAICS, we can do 8.3 next spring with the stuff that's already on the
> table, then 8.4 in spring 2008 with the stuff you propose; or we can
> do 8.3 in spring 2008 with all the above.  Assuming that anyone comes
> through with the stuff you propose by 2008, a fact not in evidence.
> Ultimately, this project is not driven by complainers, it's driven by
> people who get things done.  Step up to the plate.

Well I am certainly not complaining and I will be the first to tell
people to put up or shut up. Well, second in this case :). I am just
stating what reality is for my customers and that reality is that 8.2 is
a no-op release with 8.3 only 6 - 9 months away.

I am also not saying that pushing 8.3 to spring 08 is a good idea
either, that is an awful long time without a feature release.

Hmmm, thoughts on an Ubuntu style release structure (every 6 months,
with a single release during a cycle considered LTS?)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

Сообщение: Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Сообщение: Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues